Tesla Personal Supercomputer by Nividia

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by LAtoLV, Mar 5, 2009.

1. #21     May 18, 2009
  2. I agree. But it still does what I want even with the hack so I don't care how it's done. I don't know that much about parallel computing anyway.

Maybe my knowledge is too limited on this subject but I don't see how the example I gave is embarassingly parallel when the evaluation of one variable depends on the value of another variable.

Can you explain how to make something like the example I gave you run in multiple threads?

AS far as APS I understand that searching for patterns in 2 data files can run in parallel but the question is whether they can do a single search to run in paraller processing mode. In fact, all I do is a signle search at a time.

#22     May 18, 2009
  3. That is just what Intel's Larrabee is about:

http://www.ddj.com/architect/216402188

This could be very interesting.

#23     May 18, 2009
  4. jprad

jprad

No, your example is pretty straightforward, and it can be parallelized. But, it's easier to think of all this in terms of atomic functions. Let's start with:

a = f(b)
    c = f(d)

Since the dependent variables in each, 'a' and 'c' are independent of each other their functions can be parallelized.

On the other hand, the sequence:

a = f(b)
    c = f(a)

cannot be parallelized since 'a' has be be computed first because 'c' is now dependent on 'a.' (and no, 'y' in your example isn't dependant on 'x' in the same was as here since the value of 'x' is constant during the entire iteration of the inner loop.)

From a functional perspective why would the input to a function that searches for a cup w/handle pattern be dependent on the output from a function that searches for a head & shoulders pattern?

The only possibility is poor program design with the use of global variables almost always at the top of that list.

#24     May 18, 2009
  5. thanks for the link to the Mike Abrash article. He knows his stuff!

#25     May 18, 2009
  6. WTF you bozo retard, wiki freak.

Look at his example carefully:

x = 0.
    y=0.
    for i = 0 to 100
    x = x+i
    for j = 1 to 1000
    y = x+2j
    end
    end

This translates to:

a = f(b) // b = i
    c = g(a,d) // d = j

Calculation of c is dependent on a. This cannot be parallelized (easily).

Bozo...

#26     May 19, 2009
  7. Hugin

Hugin

Haven't done any real work with CUDA yet but I have read the documentation as well as visited their forum.

To gain a large performance boost you do need to parallelize your algorithm, but unfortunately that is not enough. Equally important are the memory access patterns of your algorithm. The GPU reads data in blocks and if your problem does not map to the access pattern it will need to synchronize which will slow things down a lot. For complex algorithms it seems this could become harder than making the algorithm parallel.

/Hugin

#27     May 19, 2009
  8. byteme

byteme

Execute 101,000 threads in parallel with the following kernel:

y = (i*(i+1)/2) + 2j

Where:

i is an input from 0 to 100 and
    j is an input from 1 to 1000

Analagous to pixel rendering for each x, y co-ordinate on the screen where the screen is 101 by 1000 pixels in dimensions i.e. perfectly suited to parallelism.

#28     May 19, 2009
  9. gasy

gasy

lot of respect for NVIDIA after this, for making it affordable that is

#29     May 19, 2009
  10. jprad

jprad

I did, but since you insist...
    Code:
    main()
    {
      x = 0
      y = array[100]

for i = 0 to 100
        x = x+1
        fork_thread(i, proc_x(y, i, x))
      end

wait_thread(100)
      print(x, y[100])
    }

proc_x(array y, int i, int x)
    {
      for j = 1 to 1000
        y[i] = x+2j
      next

return
    }

Both fork_thread() and wait_thread() are OS dependant. A decent treatment can be found on wiki, but you don't seem open to that. So, here's one of the books that I've got, about 10 years old by now:

http://www.amazon.com/Win32-Multith...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242728857&sr=8-8

Dipstick...

#30     May 19, 2009