Tesla ordered to pay former factory worker $130 million

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by ajacobson, Oct 4, 2021.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Agree. But also fortunately we have a system that allows for appeals - especially against way over the top judgments.

#21     Oct 6, 2021
  2. Pezza

Pezza

That is an insane amount to win. would be interesting to have heard the full case. Not good publicity for Tesla.

#22     Oct 6, 2021
  3. userque

userque

I am aware.

My point wasn't about the amount; other than punitive damages are not to be confused with compensatory damages.

To judge whether or not the punitive amount is, or isn't proper, one would have to know, at the least, the facts of the case; which I don't.

Anyone can guess; but I find it highly unlikely that any layperson with no knowledge of that case, is qualified to know what is, or isn't, an appropriate award.

#23     Oct 6, 2021
    VicBee likes this.
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Ok I understand your viewpoint.

But $130 million is way over the top for someone who wasn't even physically harmed. $6.9 million is way over the top itself. Without knowing a thing about the trial. Common sense.

Really? What is that gentleman's (an elevator operator) lifetime potential earnings power?

Come on man :D

#24     Oct 6, 2021
    comagnum likes this.
  5. userque

userque

I have no new information to add.

You obviously didn't take my initial advice to research punitive damages; and to not confuse punitive damages with compensatory damages.

Again, the exact amount was not my point.

#25     Oct 6, 2021
  6. JSOP

JSOP

Depending on where he goes. Different countries have different crimes. And even in NA, it can still happen. Never say never especially when it comes to crimes.

#26     Oct 6, 2021
  7. JSOP

JSOP

Sometimes those punitive damages can be ridiculous.

#27     Oct 6, 2021
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Meh he co is not U.S. yes both in NA but come on with that. :confused:

And yes punitive damages are way up there, like this case, but almost always cut down to size.

Tobacco or other class actions are completely different.

#28     Oct 6, 2021
  9. JSOP

JSOP

Exactly! Tobacco and medical malpractice or pharmaceutical class actions are dealing with real damages; people actually got injured or died. In this case, what, he just got called names? When I saw the heading about racial discrimination, I thought he really suffered discrimination like getting reduced pay, forced to work longer hours or undesirable shifts or denied promotions, or maybe death threats, you know, REAL damages. But no, he just got called some names. LOL Honestly if being called names is considered racial discrimination now, all the ethnicities including Caucasians should sue whenever members of them are called derogatory names because every single ethnicity's got a derogatory name. The problem is not all defendants are as loaded as Tesla. LOL This is really BLM protest prevention at the expense of Tesla.

#29     Oct 6, 2021
    comagnum likes this.
  10. daxydet

daxydet

Truth always wins in the end I guess, or so I hope!

#30     Oct 11, 2021