Term Limits Now! (Here We Go Again - Maybe This Time It Will Stick)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cstfx, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Quote from Ricter:

Agreed. It the term-limit proposed was somethng ridiculous, like a coupla weeks, it would seem like a good idea to your "repubs".

I don't see "if" or LOL. I guess you edited after I quoted. And apparently you don't have the intelligence or the spine to answer my question.

"Why are congressional term limits so scary to you and your ilk?"

#11     Nov 11, 2009
  2. There wasn't always term limit for president you goof...

Good gravy, you don't even know American history...

Go back to school and get your damn GED...

All term limits should be repealed, even POTUS...

That decision was a reactive decision to Roosevelt, not something that was well thought out...

Limiting a good and effective president to two terms is insanity...

The voters should decide how long a president, senator, or congressman should be in office come election time...

#12     Nov 11, 2009
  3. Ricter

Ricter

I corrected my typo, "it" to "if", but I guess the context was not clear enough for you to figure that out. And I did not use quotes around "lol" because I did not mean it as a quote. I used quotes around "ridiculous" because, and this is the funny part, hence the "lol", your use of it shows that you missed my point.

As for your question, whatever. I do not fear term-limits or even think about them. We have elections and everyone is free to participate, if there's a problem politician, left or right, the voters have recourse.

#13     Nov 11, 2009
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I NEVER said there was shit head.
    Maybe you should learn how to fucking read.

#14     Nov 11, 2009
  5. I'd bet that a significant portion of the current Congress wouldn't be able to read the quote above, much less use language like this.

One thing that jumps out while reading about politics of the past is that we really do have a bunch of crass, ignorant imbeciles running the show now. Whether that is a cause or a consequence of the US's decline is an interesting question.

#15     Nov 11, 2009
  6. dsq

dsq

term limits wouldnt make a difference...campaign finance reform would...get rid of lobbyists and you would see an end to career politicians...that is why the mccain feingold reform bill got zero support from both parties.

#16     Nov 11, 2009
  7. Mercor

Mercor

The solution is to limit Liberals to one term.

#17     Nov 11, 2009

8. Only if it was the law. Last time, it was based on promises. Doesn't amount to much when your voluntary expiration date comes due, and you have no intention of honoring it

They should also make the House 6-year terms, like the senate. 2-year terms puts a Rep in perpetual electioneering mode.

#18     Nov 11, 2009
  9. "Was there always a term limit for POTUS?"

The answer that you did not know was no, there was not always a term limit for POTUS...

Study hard for that GED...

#19     Nov 11, 2009
  10. The real intellectual absurdity of the term limit crowd is they are the first to argue that free markets work best, then they do an about face and want to limit a free market when it comes to electing representatives in D.C.

Our electoral system is exactly like a free market. Our own free market is corrupted by those who have money who are in power to influence government and lawmakers, like the banks, big oil, insurance companies...and somehow that is okay to the right wing because these corporations make lots and lots of money at the expense of the taxpayer and quality of life of the average American.

Yet simply because they can't win an election they want to limit the term of those winners, and reward the losers?

How about we give a term limit to Rush Limbaugh's time on the radio...say only 2 more years. Same to Glenn Beck, same to Ann Coulter, etc.

It is really a ridiculous concept to limit good representatives, to punish them because of stupid voters who continually vote in the same bad representatives.

How much sense does it make that upwards of 90% complain about congress, yet the incumbents of the states get re-elected most of the time?

The individuals are not taking responsibility here at all. The solution is not term limits, the solution is a more educated class of voters who pay attention to what is happening in D.C.

This is in a way, reverse affirmative action as it forces someone who is doing a good job to lose their job to perhaps a less qualified person.

Makes zero sense to any free market supporter...

#20     Nov 11, 2009