Teresa Lo?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by steve46, May 2, 2003.

1. jem

jem

Besides I always wondered what was up with this jesse jackson bullshit change in nomenclature. African American - is this really a better word than black. I am white and not anglo-- because I am probably not anglo according to the dictionary - and I think the change was a cynically engineered bunch of thought control shit.

Why should anyone care to change the word Oriental to Asian. Except for Walther's explanation which is interesting and may be accurate why does it matter. It stands for the same thing. One just seems to me to be saying "do not address the characteristic of how I look directly (as previously referenced by society); find a back door stupid PC way to describe the same thing." As if being oriental is bad.

#41     May 8, 2003
  2. sunnie

sunnie

Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental - meaning “eastern” - is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

#42     May 8, 2003
  3. The PC police are everywhere it seems. Wish the real police were that damn efficient. I feel for you guys stuck in some corporate, professional or gubmint job where you have to walk on eggshells and worry about this crap. A poor guy got fired in Washington ,DC for using the word "niggardly." Apparently, it's insensitive.

#43     May 8, 2003

4. U know... Krumhorn, Schiller or Lonny Siegal ? (or maybe you are one of them). :D

Lived downstairs from Morrie... and also used to play poker, bowl and hang out at the track with these guys, among others.

Ice:cool:

#44     May 8, 2003
  5. yeah, i heard about that; i think the guy was clarence thomas

#45     May 8, 2003
  6. jem

jem

sunnie -

thanks for the definition and it is as I thought, however I have and will continue to use the word asian (although, I think it is a stupid change) but what can I do about not being anglo. I prefer white guy, even though some on MTV may use it as a slur. How come I do not have a choice? Just a thought I do not really care.

#46     May 8, 2003
  7. Hey,

What can you do, some people are still calling Bejing - Peking.

They still allow brothers and sisters to get married in some parts of the country.

So my bad for calling anyone a jackass, I'll just use the word dick.

#47     May 11, 2003
  8. When I'm in Tokyo I feel bad about describing the weather as being a bit nippy.... :p

#48     May 11, 2003
  9. stocon

stocon

She trades tests and retracements, there really isn't more except it's nice if the ADX is above 30. I believe She's a good teacher and a successful trader.:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool: :) :) :)

#49     May 12, 2003
  10. She's cute too...

#50     May 12, 2003