'Tent Cities': Nashville. Olympia, St. Petersburg, Fresno, Seattle, Sacramento & More

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ByLoSellHi, Mar 26, 2009.

1. gucci

gucci

Why do you go to this "Greektown" only "once every two weeks or so"?

#21     Mar 26, 2009
  2. wmb

wmb

Drug abuse, alcholism and a lack of faith in Jesus Christ is causing alot of problems in this country in the last few years! Get it together!

#22     Mar 26, 2009
  3. Butt love?

:)

#23     Mar 26, 2009
  4. I'm not a big gambler, and some of the gentlemen that head down there for this ritual get out of control at the dice tables.

Why don't you get your ass down there and feed that bastard?

#24     Mar 26, 2009
  5. gucci

gucci

Just calm down dude... I wasn't saying you're a bad person. If you looked up my profile, you'd see why I'm unwilling to "get my ass down there". By the way, why is that person a bastard now?

#25     Mar 26, 2009
  6. Dumb lazy people! Why don't they find jobs?!

#26     Mar 26, 2009
  7. 15 people asking you a cigarette in ONE DAY?????

Where do you live? in one of these shantytowns?

I am really curious

#27     Mar 26, 2009
  8. I'm not sure about the "average", but I can say this for a fact:
    I have 25+ rental units. Once in awhile, the gov't checks get crossed in the mail and come in late in the day, or a day late. You talk about scrambling, the phone is ringing " can't pay my rent, check not here". They act like its the local postmasters fault that they don't have that check yet. This is only about 25% of the total, but considering what the govt is doing, its a definite concern for me. These people are 1 govt check away from disaster.

The rest of the tenents all work, but are struggling mightily. The rent is always predicated on a specific payday. When u get 5 Fridays in a month, its cool. Follow that with just the regular 4, and it gets tight. I'm not in the big city, so can't say how relevant this is, but around here, that thing lurking " just around the corner" is frightening. Since I derive a large portion of my income from these people, I am , and have been for awhile, doing everything I can to curb my expenses, and council these people on ways to say money. Hell, I even have backup plans to grow vegetables to help feed everyone. Cows and chickens are on the drawing board too.

If things turn back up, all is well. If things go from bad to horrible, I won't be caught off guard.

#28     Mar 26, 2009
  9. Homelessness was significant during good times.

But it will get worse.

More jobs are being lost than are being created.

People can argue about the Great Depression all they want, but the facts were there were a LOT MORE people who wanted to work than could find regular and steady employment.

Whether this is another Depression or not, I do not know. But I will know it is, when the number of people who are out of work that cannot find work is large and conspicous and undeniable as it was during the Great Depression.

#29     Mar 26, 2009
  10. Just curious, where is that anyway?

#30     Mar 26, 2009