Tensions Explode On CNBC, As Simon Hobbs Tells Cramer: "You Told People To Buy Bear S

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SteveNYC, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ;)

I used to watch the closing bell -> Cramer during the carnage in '08. I never watched on up-days. You'll be pleased to know that I haven't watched since, save for the times it's been on the big screens at the gym.

#41     Aug 19, 2011
  2. Look at the clip again. Cramer was asked whether to "keep money" at BSC. This was a question about safety of accounts there, not a recommendation to trade the stock.

#42     Aug 19, 2011
  3. noone3

noone3

#43     Aug 19, 2011
  4. sprstpd

sprstpd

Regardless, Cramer was consistently a buyer of Bear Stearns leading up to this day, based on recommendations from his own mouth. So even if you are correct, which is a big if, Cramer still crushed people with his advice.

#44     Aug 19, 2011
  5. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Hate Cramer or not, the other guy is 100% correct, Cramer did not recommend Bear Sterns stock to that day (if so, I'd like to see a piece of evidence that says so). He was speaking on behalf of customers keeping their money there, which by the way, all of their customers got their money back.

#45     Aug 19, 2011
  6. I don't see why no one understands this. Nice alias.

As I explained earlier in the thread: it is possible Cramer's website thestreet.com had buys on BSC, but those are automated programs and if they were showing buys, it was probably because of the $50 difference in bvps over $30 or a book value 150% above the current market price. I don't believe Cramer personally recommended nor invested in BSC, but it is possible his algorithms rated BSC a buy but I don't think they did and I wouldn't be surprised if they did either.

#46     Aug 19, 2011
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Bullcrap.

#47     Aug 19, 2011
  8. gaj

gaj

i posted this a couple years ago. it's still relevant now:

"bear is now one of these companies that's selling well below book...normally with a brokerage i want to buy in the money calls...i'm a little gunshy at this point, but i know that i would buy a small position in bear options because it's too low, it fell too fast, and i don't want to buy a position when the stock is up."

http://www.thestreet.com/_rms/s/cra...eo/cramermarketupdates/10407225.html#10407225

(my original post is here:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/printthread.php?threadid=156642)

#48     Aug 19, 2011
  9. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Are you stupid? He did not recommend BSC on his show, regardless of what he thought of it... get with it and stop this nonsense of buying algorithms on his website that I don't think exist.

#49     Aug 19, 2011

10. Is Simon Hobbs talking about buy rec. of BSC on his CNBC show or on his thestreet.com website?

The quote is:

"You told people to buy Bear Stearns!

Hobbs didn't say:

"You told him (the caller) to buy Bear Stearns!"

#50     Aug 19, 2011