Tendonitis and joint pain in hands?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Howard, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Howard

Howard

Yes, but too late, I'm afraid. :)

My posture have not been that bad generally, but I have had my arm angled out AND forward from my body. That's not ideal. So I've straightened that out now.

But to be honest, I'm not sure if the right posture would have prevented this as the sheer volume of what I've been doing is simply too much anyway, I think? I'm just not around in an office for 60 hours per week. Most of that time I spend holding a mouse and clicking a LOT.

What may have prevented this is to have been more aware of taking frequent breaks, massages, stretches and so on. At least that's what I'm thinking...

Howard

#11     Nov 1, 2019
  2. Howard

Howard

Nice. I'm actually getting a new chair now. Maybe a gaming chair.

My old chair at home have not been that bad, but it's starting to get a little worn now and it does not have adjustable arm rests. That said, I think most of my issues come from my office work where my set-up is state of the art with an adjustable desk and a top notch chair.

#12     Nov 1, 2019
  3. If you Google "desk posture" and take a look at the resulting pictures you may find a lot of pointers which might be helpful. These can also be helpful in finding a suitable chair (or prevent you from buying a chair with would put you in the wrong position).

#13     Nov 1, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  4. TommyR

TommyR

if you google desk posture it will explain how to correctly set up a workstation.

#14     Nov 1, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  5. Howard

Howard

All this is indeed helpful, but I don't feel it can be a cure on it's own.

According to my therapist - there is no right posture if you work a lot as long hours of work will give you problems regardless of how perfect your posture is. Taking breaks and stretches is probably key to amend that.

Fortunately, the clicking and writing I do in trading is peanuts compared to my day time job as an engineer, where modeling/drawing tasks probably amounts to 50 clicks per minute on a mouse at certain periods of time and where I'm often holding/clenching the mouse. I think it was this activity that pushed me over the edge.

#15     Nov 2, 2019
  6. That sounds similar to a job I previously held. Most likely do you not only click the mouse very often, but do you also tend to bend forward, with your face closer to the monitor screen. This puts your neck and spine in a very unnatural position and tenses a lot of muscles. Both which may add to the agony, over time.
    I hope that, at least, you have been given a proper monitor to do this work. If you have to focus on a small laptop screen the whole issue becomes so much worse.

#16     Nov 2, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  7. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

My experience says similar, every new thing you try works for a bit but the problem returns, that is what I experienced for two years until my hand felt like a claw and I was trading with my left hand as best I could.

I had not spotted you were already using the vertical mouse. I was recalling back to 2000 when I did a lot of VRML modelling and I used a spacemouse for positioning (Left) plus a mouse for detail though doing some searching I think this guy's wacom and spacemouse approach is worth considering. https://www.solidsmack.com/cad/cad-stylus-thing/

One other thing maybe of interest. I mentioned an injection which would work however I have just recently had a stent replaced a couple of weeks ago and the surgeon (Under 50, just lucky.. ;) had the usual laparoscopic via vein in the groin but they had to go in through my side as well so larger wound) recommended this instead of traditional anti-inflammatory meds. I was very surprised by two things, 1. I was getting 6-7 hours per tablet instead of Ibuprofin etc. usual 2-3 and 2. Healing really seemed unusually fast.

Long term use would lead to toxicity I'm sure as any, 'natural' is still a drug with side-effects but this stuff has me really surprised. I also got tincture drops, 10 drops per glass... pretty worthless but the calendula/pot marigold tablets work.

I'd also consider looking at a low carb diet, eliminate sugar as much as humanly possible and lots of green leafy. This really aids with systemic inflammation which starts to get guys above 30s.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    #17     Nov 2, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  8. vanzandt

vanzandt

Howard,
    Hi, I just saw this thread.
    You have what's called RSI. It can be a big deal. Its plagued musicians long before the world had computer keyboards and mouse(s). Its actually permanently sidelined many. You'll see a lot of guitar players that are doing repetitive motions for several hours at a time as fast if not faster than you are talking about doing with your mouse. Many swear by wrist compression bands. They do work. They look too simple to work, but they do. Read about them, they're cheap too. $25 for the best. Look on AMZN.

Either way... here's a great support website that covers absolutely everything including various methods of treatment, exercise, diet, support.... lots of stuff. Glad you caught it early. Good luck.
    http://www.rsi.org.uk/

Here's a book with good reviews, https://tinyurl.com/y3s4ud8v
    $1.89 used. Probably worth the read.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    #18     Nov 2, 2019
    Howard likes this.
  9. Howard

Howard

Thanks a lot, guys.

RSI seems accurate, @vanzandt

Funny you should mention it as I'm a former guitar player (still have the guitar, but the stock market takes all my time currently) who used to play all day long. Would get fatigue, but nothing chronic like this.

Regarding the wrist compression band - would that work if I have issues in my forearm and not the actual wrist?

I've been using one I adopted from my mother at my left wrist. Been considering getting one for my right arm as well. Just have not been very convinced of its efficacy.

As for treatment, I'm currently visiting a physical therapist doing trigger point therapy. Not sure if it's helping to be honest, but it does not seem to hurt. According to him, he could tell that my muscles were stiff and cramped up in my forearms.

I'm also using a foam/rumble roller to massage my forearms and I try to do stretches.

Have loads to do on my trading computer/research as well, but currently trying to stay away as much as I can and limit my computer time outside work hours to a bare minimum.

Best,

Howard

#19     Nov 3, 2019
  10. You might have good old fashioned tennis elbow (inflammation of a tendon attached to the elbow from repetitive use) which requires reducing the inflammation and then strengthening the grip.

#20     Nov 4, 2019
    Howard likes this.