Ten-fold Growth and a 740 Percent Stock Gain: Cathie Wood’s Breakout Year by the Numbers

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

My "great marketing" remark was sarcastic in that vein, since the fact I keep hearing about Ark & Cathie means at least that. I doubt ARK has much genuine alpha beyond the current craziness and I suspect their ship is going to follow the high beta market segment down, but we will see the coming two years.

#11     Jan 22, 2021
  2. tsznecki

tsznecki

I'd like to see if the haters in this thread achieved a 740% increase in their portfolio/net worth.

Hmmm...why is it so quiet in here now?

#12     Jan 22, 2021
  3. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

If I'm allowed to count leverage, then sure, a strategy I've run since November sits at multiples of that adjusted for yearly rate, with minimal DD. Meaningless figures because I seeded it with quite little cash which admittedly fails your criterion. The bigger point is, not a chance that it will last because A) random sample from a cherry picked period, B) market regime dependent.

Not sure about hate. It's inevitable this is spun in media as ARK being a bunch of geniuses that figured it out, much like how there are plenty of genius traders that started in April. That is what 'haters' in this thread are reacting to.

#13     Jan 22, 2021
  4. tsznecki

tsznecki

The thing is, you only need to succeed once. ARK can sit pretty for the next 5-10 years off their 2020 performance. Granted, it may be a one shot wonder, but ARK put itself on the map. Cathie Wood likely has enough net worth that her grandkids don't have to work.

#14     Jan 22, 2021
    Snuskpelle likes this.
  5. narafa

narafa

Well, we all know that in secular bull markets, making money is easy, keeping it is not. Let's see if ARK will be able to keep their enormous profits when reality hits or not.

#15     Jan 22, 2021
    Pekelo likes this.
  6. Snuskpelle

Snuskpelle

Fair point, funds and asset management work very differently.

#16     Jan 22, 2021
  7. guowei58

guowei58

Cathie Wood is a serious investor. but keep in mind that every major market move has someone like Cathie, by definition! She struggled for a long time before hitting it big. Kudos to her for holding her faith strongly, but it usually means we need to be cautious

#17     Jan 25, 2021
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

They should be hailed as excellent shrinks riding market sentiment. My bet is that they are going to stick to their positions for too long.

#18     Jan 25, 2021