Tell me why this is

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Smart Money, Apr 21, 2009.

1. You need a magical balance of risk and caution to be a trader.

Your friends most likely have too much caution.

Don't you have any experience when it comes to talking to people in the white collar community about trading? I would say over 95% have had a negative connotation about trading sense they passed junior high. The vast majority think you either need to be an industry genius/insider or a high risk gambler.

Your story could hardly be less surprising. Your friends are the stagnant professionals they are today because of the safe road they have followed their entire lives.

#11     Apr 21, 2009
  2. Wow. Thats a mind-opening statement. You're right...I'm not hanging out in the right crowd for this. I need to hobnob with entrepreneurs.

SM

#12     Apr 22, 2009
  3. Also one way to look at this is the way Antony Robbins teaches in his pain vs pleasure principal approach. Basically if your friends associate pleasure to their "status qou" and pain to trading or new venture, then you would have to get them to change their pain/pleasures associations in order to motivate them.

#13     Apr 22, 2009
  4. The foolishness of the many is the opportunity of
    the few.

#14     Apr 22, 2009
  5. maxpi

maxpi

I'm just beginning to be successful really. It's lonely, of course, what?? I can tell my pals that are impoverished that I'm getting rich even in these desperate times?? Bad things would happen to me somehow.. I look back on all the people that disdained the trader life that are still stuck in horrible dead ends of cubicle life.. I recall the scathing comments of one of those clowns... and laugh, yeah, go for it cubie warrior, keep up with the scathing comments too... see 'ya, wouldn't wannabeya...

#15     Apr 22, 2009
  6. Smartmoney,

Forget your friends as most don’t understand or care to understand what a trader (of any type) does or why. You might as well tell them you are a financial sorcerer as a trader. But once they see you are making good money, actually have the time to do what you want, take a vacation on no notice and seem happy while answering to no one, they eventually will come around and starting becoming more interested. Realize few outside this industry understand even the basics.

There is a reason most work the job slave life in a cubicle. They don’t have confidence to break out of what is expected. Fear and greed affect everyone, just in different ways. Seek out more friends from the more adventurous side of life: the self-employed, business owners, entrepreneurs and other traders, depending on where you live. You will be surprised how much more in common you have with these types of people. Enjoy your success and make the most of it. Life is too short to try to bring along those who don’t want the same path as you or let fear dictate all their actions.

Good trading.

BM

#16     Apr 25, 2009