Tell me...is this really the hardest trading environment you have ever encountered???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Port1385, Mar 14, 2009.

1. TraDaToR

TraDaToR

I just wanted to be sure...:D

#11     Mar 17, 2009
  2. I can't agree more! Scalping for me went to shit, part of it was the mkt, part of it was my head/doing a poor job adapting (I saw changes I needed to make but was having difficulty implimenting. I was trading 3-10 million shares/month (average of about 6) during June-December, now I only trade 150k-1 million, I avoided a huge rip by a wee little margin and decided to do the smart thing and take the lesson. Stuff like going long the S&P/stocks around 685, or shorting JPM or BIDU yesterday the open, then waiting a few days (covered my bidu)... so much less stress. I think for grindy orderbook scalping this isn't the best market, though it can still be done, but for swing trades long/short this market environment is excellent!

#12     Mar 17, 2009
  3. ed88ks

ed88ks

TOTAL TRADE , WIN AND LOSSING?

#13     Mar 17, 2009

4. yea that was after losses.

and i had some big harsh losing trades... :(

Dropped £6,000 in 1 phrase of 3weeks,
    and about £9,000 overall in other trades.

If i hadnt lose that if have kept nearly 50k... :) :eek:

But these losses i had to take to be cautious.

#14     Mar 17, 2009
  5. I started trading a few years ago. I guess I’m one of those guys in their 20’s who you guys like to rip. To sum it up quickly, I have never been profitable, but I don’t think it was the market’s fault. In my experience, it’s not so much is the market hard to trade, but what markets are hard or easy to trade based on your individual style. Counter trend swing trading options is difficult because of the spreads and commissions. Also, the leverage is a lot to handle sometimes. You tend to use it all up quickly and then get wiped out. Daytrading stocks is better for scalping, but sometimes you get caught up in a move, and then what you want to happen doesn’t come about by the close and you have to get out. I traded forex several years ago and consistently lost. I got caught up with the overleverage and get killed with the wide spreads. Strangely enough though, I opened a small micro account and have had very good success with that lately. Since spreads are now down to 1.5 pips, that’s not really an issue anymore. Forex seems to revert back to the means more than stocks and that favors my style. We’ll see how it goes.

With that being said, when I listen to interviews with past successful traders, there does seem to be some overriding themes. For instance in Market Wizards, there seemed to be a lot of them who profitted from very strong and long trends. By the time of the interview, it seemed that a lot of them didn’t really have much going on then and suggested that the markets used to be very good and now they aren’t. I believe a few of the trend followers ended up going broke. I have backtested this a little. In my limited research, counter trend strategies usually test better, although not by much. They certainly seem to work better on an intraday basis. Although like I said, I’ve never been able to profit from this. I’m trying to write an automated program so it will take me out of the picture.

With interviews with traders from the tech era, they seem to suggest that the markets were much easier then. For the novice traders, it seems they just bought any tech stock. The next day it was down and they bought more. Then the day after, it was up $20. For the scalpers, it seems they profited from larger spreads and just ridding the bid and ask all day. Spreads are down to a penny now, so there’s not much in that now. But I think that’s a good thing overall.

I guess it seems that with technology, the playing field has become completely flat. Again that’s a good thing. But as far as being a trader and profitting, it seems there is nothing to take advantage of anymore. You simply have to try to predict where the market is going. When I listen to interviews now, they seem to say they’re profitable, but can’t really explain how. They just sort of say, I buy here and sell there, and then I make money. I have learned that the only way to really make money, is to put the odds in your favor and then play them. I just haven’t figured out how to do that yet.

#15     Mar 17, 2009
  6. No wonder. Just another loser in a long line constant feed of losers. WTF is the idiot attraction to trade when you don't know shit from shit? Jeez .. LOLs. :D

#16     Mar 18, 2009
  7. Specterx

Specterx

I guess you've been making millions a year since your first day in the womb?

#17     Mar 18, 2009
  8. This has been an amazingly great market for trend following trading. Best I have experienced so far since I started trading several years ago. Enjoy it while it lasts.

#18     Mar 18, 2009
  9. If you have never been profitable making discretionary trades, what makes you think you can write a computer program to auto-trade and be profitable?

If you know what to do so you can write a program to trade, why weren't you profitable?

#19     Mar 18, 2009
  10. Why do you people bash people my age for being ungrateful lazy losers who think everything is owed to us, and then turn around and bash us for losing money trading? You think success is achieved while not first learning how to fail? You guys are just perpetual bashers. You feed on it. You were probably the bully in high school picking on the geeks. This is just your weapon of choice now.

#20     Mar 18, 2009