Tell me about your Uncle Point

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ElectricSavant, Jul 17, 2006.

The % of your current capital you will withstand to lose aka your Uncle Point

1. <=1%

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. <=3%

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. <=5%

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. <=10%

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. <=15%

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. <=25%

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. <=30%

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. <=45%

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. <=50%

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. >50%

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  1. Cutten

Cutten

Same way as you learn anything. Observe, study, think about what you see. Form hypotheses on the basis of your observation, then test them out rigorously. Note the results, what worked, what didn't. Revise your thinking in the light of that. Then practise, practise, practise to get your execution technique up to speed with your theories. It's the basic scientific approach to knowledge and its application.

#41     Jul 17, 2006
  2. I know, I know...I just am scared. It is silly. But I am sitting on a pot of boiling water and I want to scream.

Can something be too good to be true?

pinch me and wake me up.

I know what I gotta do...its just to do it.

Michael B.

#42     Jul 17, 2006
  3. Cutten

Cutten

I don't agree. If market history teaches anything, it's that all leading indicators and other quasi-arbitrages eventually degrade and then stop working entirely. They can last a few years but eventually they will cease to work and you'll have to find a new one.

You don't have to go for a permanent edge. You can take the approach that you will look for temporary edges on a permanent basis. But a key part of that approach to trading is the *continual* search for new edges & leading indicators, correlations etc. You don't stop that search just because you have found one that does well. Keep looking!

#43     Jul 17, 2006
  4. When did you tell me you closed??

Hm... well, this is what you posted:

here.

So, I presumed you closed. Because you cannot say you "made more" than someone if you did not actually BOOK the cash by closing the trade, like I did.

Yes, I would like a reply to this because I accredited you with making 130-pts.

Now, suddenly you DIDN'T make any money???

Get back to me on this,

tgof

#44     Jul 17, 2006
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Yes, but my point is that you stop this system when the correlation breaks down on a consistent basis. Don't wait until you are down 15%. Equally, if you somehow get down 15% yet the correlation is still working (for example some shock news comes out and it's against your positions), then I don't see why you should stop (scale back size maybe, but don't quit).

#45     Jul 17, 2006
  6. You see I am newer to trading then most of you think even though I have traded off and on all of my life.

Being a former CTA is nothing..anybody can pass a series three and copy from a couple of disclosure doc's to come up with their own and pay the 1400 bucks...

I post here much and post and post and post...this is how I learn..

I spend more time in research than in trading until this year.

I am a Trader. Wifey is an Executor.

The other day we met some folks at the wine restuarant and the subject of what we did came up. Wifey said she was a Trading System Executor and I said in a proud voice that I was a Trader. We smiled at one another and moved on in the conversation. Wifey said we got to get rid of the 1990 Plymouth Voyager with simulated wood grain siding if we are going to live the dream and walk the walk

Michael B.

#46     Jul 17, 2006
  7. ok.. but the shocks have come out and the hedged positions (twin pairs or baskets) in Retail Spot Forex always conform. But this is not to say that they always will...at least they are hedged.

Michael B.

#47     Jul 17, 2006
  8. I can close it now if you wish...it really does not matter...anyways you do not know the whole story...one leg of my trade may have beat you...not eveything seems as it appears or as I make it to be...just wanted to have some fun with you...remember I am always in and go flat maybe 10% of the time...there are multiple scales over many pair at different times. We work hard for our money and it takes us many hours to make what you make in minutes scAlpZy.

Everybody knows that the Archangel of Forex cannot beat the God of Forex...

Michael B.

#48     Jul 17, 2006
  9. Unless you have... an everlasting indicator.

:)

DD

#49     Jul 17, 2006
  10. Cutten I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have taken the time and have been interested enough to give me a chance to listen. I hear you and thank you for the encouragement.

Michael B.

P.S. now if i find a new system you folks will need to endure another 10k post hehe..I am not like the pro's here ...i postand postand post and post

#50     Jul 17, 2006