Tell me about North Carolina

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by ElectricSavant, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Thanks, that's interesting. I'm not planning on building anything. It would drive me crazy.

#51     Jun 20, 2006
  2. Getting the contractor just to show up after he gets a check is a miracle in California...He is too busy building his own stuff...

#52     Jun 20, 2006
  3. congrats. that was a pretty good series. can't beat a game 7. looks like you guys gave some decent fans

#53     Jun 20, 2006
  4. I moved out of Upstate NY to Raleigh about 18 months ago - best move I ever made.

Raleigh is the biggest small town around. Bigger than Pittsburgh, but without all the big town amenities - for now. It has a very nice small town family feel

Taxes - 8% top rate on income. Real Easte taxes are 1/3 of Rochester NY (NICE!)

Weather - Beeoootiful for most of hte year. Mild winters. Perfect Spring and Fall. July can be nasty. Hot and humid. But I like it that way.

Schools - Wake County is great. Durham sucks.

Sports - College basketball heaven. Football is great. Baseball too. Home to the Stanley Cup !!! (I went to the playoffs and hold a mini-game plan) Nothing like it!

Quality of life - Outstanding.

Restuarants - at first I did not think we had much. I was wrong. We have some world class faire. BUT - forget pizza and goof bread. Something about the south - the water messes with the bread.

I love it here. Never living in the snow belt again. Charlotte is also nice - but to big for me. I don't like that kind of traffic. Wilmington is very nice too - but you can get a hurricane...

#54     Jun 22, 2006
  5. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Schools may not be great in Durham, but have you checked out the restaurants? BTW, my favorite in Raleigh is Michael Dean's... excellent meals and service every time.

#55     Jun 22, 2006
  6. You are correct on the restuarants! Durham has some top-flight feederies.

I have not been to Michael Deans - heard of it, I'll have to try it out.

#56     Jun 22, 2006
  7. chapper

chapper

You can get a hurricane in Raleigh too :) I was in college btw '92-'97, and one of the hurricanes came straight up the Cape Fear river..., it was still a Category 1 by the time it got to Raleigh... boy that was a fun night. There were all these idiots running around outside in the roads, completely hammered... cars got washed into creeks, trees everywhere. We broke out candles and about 4 cases of brew and rode it out... didn't have power for 4 days.

Those were the days...

#57     Jun 22, 2006
  8. Aahhhh, Hurricanes.

Cat 1 is no small event - no?

I lived inthe Cariibean for a few years when I was but a boy, we got a Cat 3. Now, THAT is a storm! (Actually was scared!)

Today however, the only Hurricanes around carry Lord Stanley's Cup!! AND YES! I WAS THERE!!!

Talk about once in a lifetime!

Trade on!

#58     Jun 22, 2006
  9. Hi All,

Sorry about the late addition to this thread.
    My Wife and kids and I are looking to relocate in the next 6mo-1yr. We have been looking seriously at the Cary/Apex areas. We are going to visit there in the next couple of months. Can anyone share anything about those areas?
    Thanks in advance!
    -H

#59     Jul 6, 2008
  10. 007Arb

007Arb

I lived for 16 years in the Reno/Tahoe area and thought it was paradise on earth, especially if you are into hiking like I am. But in the mid 90s crime got really bad and I left for the East. Although I don't presently live in NC I spent a few summers there and will probablyy move there permanently in the next few years. There is no prettier place in the eastern U.S. than the Boone/Banner Elk area aka the High Country. Anywhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway is special. Hiking-wise you can't beat the Asheville area since it's surrounded by national forests and a National Park.

#60     Jul 6, 2008