Teens Face Worst Summer Job Market in 41 Years

Discussion in 'Economics' started by S2007S, Jun 8, 2010.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Where are these teens going to get money from??? I'm sure some of these teens without a job have a parent without a job as well, how the heck are they going to get money to buy Ipads, games, clothes, fast food and everything else a teen likes to splurge on??

Teens Face Worst Summer Job Market in 41 Years
    CNBC.com | June 08, 2010 | 03:13 PM EDT

The kickoff to the summer job season is not looking so hot for teens.

Employment among 16-to 19-year olds in May grew by just 6,000, the smallest increase since 1969, when teen jobs fell by 14,000, according to government data analyzed by employment firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas. In May 2008 and 2009, teen employment grew by over 110,000.

“It’s certainly a preliminary strong indication that it’s going to be a tough job market for teens,” said John Challenger, CEO of Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

Jobs traditionally given to teens are apparently going to older workers who are willing to take low paying job to make ends meet. Employment among 20- to 24-year-olds grew by 270,000 in May, an unusual spike, considering that employment in the same age group fell by 261,000 in May 2009.

"Also impacting the job market for young adults are the large number of older adults who are willing to accept even a temporary, seasonal position simply to generate some income," said Steven Rothberg, chief executive officer of CollegeRecruiter.com, an online entry-level job-posting site.

"We're seeing experienced candidates taking jobs normally reserved for college grads and college grads taking jobs normally reserved for college students," said Rothberg.

But there's still a possibility for a turnaround, Challenger said, since June is traditionally the month when employers do the majority of their summer hiring. A strong June or July could still lift total hiring for the season, even if it looks unlikely now.

Another reason for slower hiring, experts said, is that the establishments that usually add summer help are also the places where Americans hit by the recession may be cutting back on spending. The majority of young Americans aged 16- to 24-years old worked in the leisure and hospitality industry last year at establishments such as theme parks, hotels and restaurants. The other popular industries were in retail and in education and health services, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Employers may prefer the older workers, experts said, because they get a more experienced employee for their money.

“They feel like they get someone who's more mature," said Challenger, "and has better work habits, no question."

2. in the areas without swarms of illegals it will likely not be that bad. With illegals competing wages down to nothing, a summer job is not what it used to be. We need all states to adopt the Arizona law. and get Mexico's problems back to Mexico.

3. Retief

Retief

If the economy gets much worse in the US, the illegal immigrant problem will take care of itself to some degree. Illegals will start heading back across the border for higher wages and more affordable health care.

4. No reason to hire a teen when a more responsible young adult can be hired at the same price.

At least teens can live with mom and dad, most adults have to pay for housing & food ...

There is just not enough jobs to go around for all who need one.

5. Also impacting the job market for young adults are the large number of older adults who are willing to accept even a temporary, seasonal position simply to generate some income,"
    ------------------------------

I think this comment is the begining of a cliche.

Many fast food business have "managers" who are 19 years old or early 20's. They do not hire old heads, period. They haven't a clue how to manage adults, or anything for that matter. They hire other teens or people within their age group.

I would say their is a disproportiante amount of girls and women to certain fast food, convient stores. (think I have three mistakes in that sentence, I'm too laxy today to chekc my speeling).

Point being, look around at the age group at places you shop, it seems the people most likely (adults from Lehman) who have lost there job aren't stepping down to replace teen jobs.

Also I would like to see turnover numbers on places that employ teens, teens aren't toughing it out because of the economy, they walk out, quit with zero prospects in mind.

6. Things have gotten a lot worse after Obama despite all the propaganda out there

7. Mercor

Mercor

Waive the minium wage for six months and much of the problem will go away.

8. MattF

MattF

My local gas station chain constantly has turnover...I used to hit several branches fairly frequently (and still hit a select few often enough) and every few weeks there would be new employees in there...some I bet got transferred, but they just kept on hiring. Pays a bit above minimum too!

As said above, many places like that with kids or certain people like that, they just quit and walk out...

What kids need to do now is start thinking outside the box, get that work spirit going and do stuff that at least potentially can earn them more then that "steady paycheck" each week...

who am I kidding. School doesn't teach that and their brains are half-mush :p