Teen Unemployment

Discussion in 'Economics' started by PocketChange, May 25, 2012.

1. 1) California 36.2%
    2) South Carolina 31.2%
    3) Rhode Island 29.8%
    4) Washington 29.0%
    5) Arizona 29.0%
    6) Nevada 28.8%
    7) Idaho 28.4%
    8) North Carolina 28.2%
    9) Missouri 27.7%
    10) Louisiana 27.6%
    ** District of Columbia 51.7%

lots of cheap impressionable youths who will do anything illegal to make a buck since legit employment is scarce. These are insanely high rates...

2. the new attitude is that ''life's too short to spend working''.

Especially here in the UK where the Government basically give you a choice at to whether you want to work or not. i.e - they'll pay all of your rent and give you benefit allowance money every fortnight etc etc

3. ssaya401

ssaya401

Teens in the US don't live by themselves and they don't get welfare.

4. Numbers are probably way too low. You can't get a job till you're 18. At 18 you are competing with re todded 20 yo. who move from job to job because after a few weeks working fast food they are tired of working like a dog.

I feel bad for parents whoo want to instill work ethic in kids, have them earn some money and no one will hire under 18.

5. Too short?! When do people die in the UK, 30? lol

In the U.S. unless your parents are rich your working at the age of 14 if not earlier. That's at real jobs too, doesn't mean a 12 year old isn't trying to make a few bucks shoveling snow now a days.

6. Lots of jobs hire under 18. There's at least 4-5 local retail places that hire at 16 and even 14 for bagger/cart runner. Not saying it's great, but your not going to be making bank at 16.

7. My point is legit minimum wage jobs for teens are largely unavailable which will make these resourceful and energetic teens turn to illegal trades.

8. I've been living in Raleigh for 8 years and never had a kid come around looking for work and only 4 adults in that time. None of the adults would work by the hour.

9. Almost EVERY restaurant in the country is hiring but todays teens are too good or too lazy to work at a restaurant.

10. In the UK its different, Teens get welfare and rent money. Thats why the UK is full of Yobs.

#10     May 25, 2012