Teen dies after downing dangerous amount of caffeinated drinks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Banjo, May 16, 2017.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. volente_00

volente_00

I think there is more to the story

"In humans, lethal toxicity is estimated at between 150 and 200 mg/kg, meaning that an average adult would have to consume between 80 and 100 cups of coffee in a very short period of time to induce extreme badness"

Vertex and lawrence-lugar like this.
  3. Caffeine affects people differently. I drink one cup of regular coffee and I'm amped up for hours. Been that way all my life. Not knowing all the details it's difficult to say what happened in this case, but a undiagnosed heart arrhythmia is a likely scenario. You can have this condition and never know it until it hits.

4. Caffeine is a highly addictive stimulant drug, like many others. Just because it's been around a long time and lots of people like to "do" it doesn't change the fact that its users are drug addicts. Yes, that means if you routinely drink coffee you are a drug addict. Don’t believe me? Try giving it up.

Some say this: "You can use this drug but you can't use that." Or this: "My drug is OK but yours is illegal." Hypocrites, all of them.

5. Vertex

Vertex

You are absolutely correct. A daily cup of coffee has the same adverse health effects as a daily syringe of heroin. They should be treated exactly the same.

/facepalm

6. Apart from how strong the coffee is, I'm also affected by how fresh it is. That's why whenever I go to a café, I always order something that is made on the spot, like an espresso long. Since I don't drink a lot of coffee or often, I want it to be as good and fresh as it gets. But I do have 5 or so cups of green tea daily when I'm in front of the computer. While green tea has some caffeine, the content is relatively modest.

7. Only a fool or someone in denial of their addiction would make such an absurd assertion.

8. vanzandt

vanzandt

I mean with all due respect Vertex.... and I'm not trying to be a dick here....but that takes the cake for the most uninformed post I have ever read here.

9. I think that was sarcasm. ;)

Vertex likes this.
  10. vanzandt

vanzandt

Cool. I missed it. :D
    My bad.

#10     May 17, 2017