Techno Dumb Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shaqi, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Shaqi

Shaqi

Whats a dual link DVI connection and gear do I need on my monitors to hook up to a dual link video card?

Im buying 6 monitors and do I use normal cables or special ones?

2. Tums

Tums

3. Shaqi

Shaqi

Any computer geeks please help -

I have ordered 2* 24" Dells Ultra Sharp and 4 * 20" Ultra Sharp Screens - Im now looking at a base system that supports 6 monitors but it says the video card is a 6 DVI lint dual connection. What does this mean?

4. Tums

Tums

Dual connection = 2 outlets

"Dual Link" = a special connector/cable

5. gnome

gnome

The cables which come with the monitors will be the correct ones. The video card will accept all types of DVI connectors.

6. Shaqi

Shaqi

7. Shaqi

Shaqi

So does a DVI-D dual link show better quality images than a DVI-D single link connection. Is it noticeable for trading purposes - i.e running eSignal and Tradestation charts and order entry the platforms from your usual broker?

What abot speed is it better with a dual link when running 6 tick charts?
    agian better means noticeable to the human eye, not nano seconds of a trillionth second?

8. The term 'dual link' is a somewhat misleading and certainly poorly chosen term that just refers to the amount of data that can go through the connection between the video card and the monitor. That amount of data limits the resolution of the monitor attached to the video card.

In other words, if a monitor has twice as many pixels, then twice as much data has to be continuously transferred from the computer to the monitor. So a dual link video card can run a monitor at a resolution with twice the number of pixels as a single link.

This really has nothing to do with the 'quality' of the image. Nor does the speed or data-rate of the video card to monitor connection have much to do with the speed that the image is updated on the screen. That is limited by the refresh rate, which is usually 60 Hz or more. At a resolution of 1920 X 1200, with a refresh rate of 60 Hz, you would only need a single link connector. But, at 1920 X 1200 with a refresh rate of 75 Hz you would need the extra data through-put of a dual link connector, simply because more data needs to be transferred per second.

But not to worry - if you're just looking at charts, there is no way that you'd notice the difference between a chart on a monitor updated 60 times a second with one updated 75 times a second.

But in your case it wouldn't matter anyway, as your proposed system has dual link video cards, which allow you to connect monitors, such as a 30", that display a very high resolution of up to 2560 X 1600, or a lower resolution at whatever refresh rate you want.

To cut a long story short, dual link just allows you to use (much) higher resolution monitors - whether that is the same as 'better quality images', or if you even need it, depends on your circumstances.

9. Shaqi

Shaqi

OK - thanks

On that basis i will just use the single link connectors - no need to shell out if I wont see the difference