Technicals of Paul Rotter (The Flipper)'s strategy?

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by gotmessner, May 14, 2005.

1. Urkel

Urkel

THere are traders doing ths in the 30 yr bond and 10 yr note. Big players flipping thousand(s) on a bid/offer all day long on the screen.

#11     May 16, 2005
  2. Those 30Yr bond flippers are guys from my company LOL!!

#12     May 16, 2005
  3. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

every ones at it now.

harris brumfield seems to have been doing something similar for quite some time (theres an intervirew in misc. futures forum)

#13     May 16, 2005
  4. Can you explain anything about their approach?

#14     May 17, 2005
  5. They just get in and out for quick ticks holding positions for just a few seconds only. Just reading the order book.

#15     May 20, 2005
  6. i thought that harris brumfield now runs trading technologies :confused:

#16     May 22, 2005
  7. mcurto

mcurto

He does now, but was a huge trader in the Ten year futures pit at the CBOT and huge on the screen when the business originally started to go there. This was the late 1980's to about 2000 or so, or whenever he became fudiciarily involved with TT. Hardy Brumfield (Harris' bro) also use the flipping technique sometimes on the screen these days, but if you know what his pit trader is doing then you can get through some of the smoke and mirrors on the screen.

#17     May 22, 2005
  8. How do you know what his pit trader is doing? Are you subscribing to a treasury squawk service? Couldn't he use multiple brokers?

#18     May 22, 2005

9. thanks

#19     May 22, 2005
  10. Hello:

For those who are still interested, there are a number of ways for a pit trader to disguise bid/offer size. One is to use multiple brokers. Others include using the fill or kill pit, and holding orders in reserve away from the exchange. For this last alternative you need direct access to the exchange and that is why people choose offices in specific locations. Its a big world, so as soon as institutions start to feel the effects (of a flipper strategy), they usually put someone on the problem and shortly the "flipper" gets taken out. Even a highly capitalized trader can be put down quickly if they are hit a couple of times for size. On the other side, weak hands (retail and poorly capitalized traders) can step back from the effect by trading a different time frame and using options. If you look at how the options market reflects the presence of "flippers" you will see (some of you will see) that there are opportunities to profit from options (buying/selling at specific times of the day). Please don't PM me for the details. I prefer you guys do your own homework.

Good luck,
    Lefty.

#20     May 22, 2005