Technical analyst vs. rumors & news

Discussion in 'Trading' started by joe92117, May 17, 2004.

1. joe92117

joe92117

What percentage of your day trading strategy, if any, involves the news? For example, from sources such as: Bloomberg, CNBC, Breifing.com, etc.

I am relatively new to trading (part time for about 6 months) and I have been pretty successful at quickly placing trades strictly based on how I think the market will react to a story, upgrade/downgrade, earnings, etc.

I prefer to watch news feeds rather than charts. Can trading on the news be a long-term successful strategy or have I just been lucky? The reason I ask is because I would like to eventually do this full time and I would rather not get too caught up in TA if its not necessary.

2. Although I believe news analysis can be employed in one's trading approach, as Bernard Baruch stated, "What is important are not the events themselves, but the human reaction to these events", personally I find it actually difficult to know the longer term outcome of such a strategy. The key issue is news effects could not be quantified so as to analyse it's historical performance and debug the parameters involved.

just my 2 cents

3. Baruch - not Barauch.

Yes, old Bernie was right.

4. Sorry, typo:)

Edit: typo fixed.

5. OK. Read the old man's book? Better than Van Tharp and Douglas...

6. Yes after reading his own story, I actually feel he was an old fox in his time. Concerning the psychological aspect, I prefer this one,

"This test of our ability to govern ourselves is really threefold. First, it is a test of values, of what things we will give up in order to make other things secure. Second, it is a test of our reasoning powers, of whether we have the wit to think our problems through to an effective solution. Third, it is a test of self discipline, of our ability to stand by our values and see our policies through, whatever the personal cost."

7. Yes, he was an old fox. A great speculator (and much more). Unlike Livermore (or Gann) he died as a rich man. I think all traders should read his book:
    Bernard M. Baruch: "My Own Story".

8. the only way you can actually trade an eco. release is if you have a bloomberg terminal or reuters.

All other news outlets are late.

9. hcour

hcour Guest

If you're having success w/this strategy then maybe you've found your trading niche. There's no reason it can't work consistently, in fact there's a brilliant book on that very subject, entitled:

"Method in Dealing in Stocks: Reading the Mind of the Market on a Daily Basis" by Joseph H. Kerr Jr.

Amazon has one used for about $32. It was written early last century and is a very dry read, but probably about the best one on that subject.

Harold

10. What about Bloomberg Radio? (It's free).

#10     May 17, 2004