Technical Analysis vs. Counting

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by easyguru, Dec 8, 2003.

1. TA, in itself, is BS. It's the trader using it.

Counting, in itself, is BS. It's the interpretation of the data.

Everything, by itself, is BS without clear objective application.

There's really no point in talking about all this. It's a waste of time, debating about things like this. Like dark says, it's a self-fulfilling, masteurbation.

Let's say, we get to a point and find that TA is not BS. So now what... There's nothing productive about knowing why and proving it works. Seriously, knowing "why" it works has nothing to do with the application of TA.

We are already given the TA to start off with. So how does the "why" help? Is it possible to develop a holy grail from that?

Any thoughts?

PS. Please don't confuse with "how". For example: A lot of people know "how" a computer works. But the question is "why" a computer works.

#31     Dec 18, 2003
  2. What I've found is the approach to the markets is changing to almost pure models. I myself have nothing but models now, 5 to be exact. All run using different methods but use almost the same criteria, esoteric technical analysis as well as standard stuff. What's different though is what it operates on, tick by tick data. This is how the high powered (and most secretive) hedgefunds use today, called high frequency hedge funds http://www.olsen.ch/center/papers/hedgefuture.pdf

So I guess what I'm saying is no matter what approach you use the times are a changing to guerilla warfare and tick by tick data has to be used, of course this is all relative to your account size.

FWIW I had a price target back at March 12 of 1093. I missed the date of Dec 11 but may get the price instead. One more thing, Dec 19 and Dec 30 are BIG turn days but the turn may not be until the following trading day.

• 1.gif
      File size:
      86.4 KB
      Views:
    #32     Dec 18, 2003

3. yes. thank you for the article.

:) :) :) :) :) :)

#33     Dec 18, 2003
  4. #34     Jan 8, 2004
  5. manz66

manz66

Dr. Olsen is the founder of oanda.com. In the oanda platform you can trade high frequency trade model.

#35     Feb 10, 2004