Technical Analysis Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by rcanfiel, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So you want someone to prove you wrong and give you a winning method?

I have not been in this game a long time, but as long as people like you are around, the basics of making money at this game will never change and there will always be opportunities for people that work hard and have open minds.

And no, you're absoluetely wrong about the comment that no professionals use pure price action. There are many pure price action following institutions and traders that have made millions. You just wont be one of them...

#31     Jul 17, 2007
  2. That there is little debate to be had is indeed a belief. It is based on experience.

Your second sentence is YOUR belief...One that many inadequate retail traders embrace. As mentioned before you and others like you are generally inept and unskilled users of technology. That is why you are unable to do more than post your complaint here. In point of fact YOU have offered no proof of your own that technical indicators do not work..

Mr. Aronson's book does not debunk the idea of using technical analysis. It covers a limited group of tools and an equally limited use of rules. If instead of whining about this, you took the time to think critically about the subject, you might discover that certain combinations of tools DO work. Those of us who do this for a living have found them.. You apparently have not...

By the way, what you consider a snide remark is in my opinion just an "inconvenient truth" as regards amateurs who try to trade without adequate training or pre-requisite talent..As one might say "if the shoe fits"...

#32     Jul 17, 2007
  3. jem

jem

All I know is that I know i made money using t/a for years.

When you hear quants talking about relationships don't you realize that some of those relationships can be found on charts?

In fact when I was using a moving averages and bollinger bands to graph my stocks on five and one minute charts against the S&PS and the premium I was using t/a.

Hedge funds were using stats and spreadsheets to find the same trade. It worked for both of us. Who do you think I was front running?

#33     Jul 17, 2007

4. actually, there is no evidence that ANY ta signal increases the odds of success of an entry/exit.

regards, surf

#34     Jul 17, 2007
  5. to the people on this thread who say things like " we found the combination of tools that work"---- i ask, if so, what stops you from massive wealth, and actually cornering a market? obviously, something is missing, otherwise your tools aren't really working as you think they are.

surf

#35     Jul 17, 2007

6. name one pure price following institution.

thanks,

surf

#36     Jul 17, 2007
  7. The idea of "cornering" a market is a romantic and rather dated misconception....I assume that skilled practitioners trade and make money at their convenience. I know that is precisely what I do. I don't suggest that it is not hard work, in fact it is...however it is increasingly less difficult as the days go by..

As regards the issue of proving something, I say "really I have little interest in proving anything to the crowd"...In fact, to be honest, my own system works better if you all continue to hold your present beliefs.

I do wish you all the best that random chance has to offer.

Steve

#37     Jul 17, 2007
  8. atozcom

atozcom

There is only one question to ask:
    Do TA consistently, objectively (non-emotionaly) produce winning trades results better than 50%?

If TA can be proven to work on its own better than 50% of the time, lets say, 51% of the time, there would have been teams of programmers producing TA program for trading, which would be like a money machine.

If TA cannot be proven to work better than 50% of the time. TA is NOT better than flipping a coin.

There is no money mchine out there, yet. Or is that a secret?

If TA ever worked, it is more than TA that went into the trade.

#38     Jul 17, 2007
  9. I believe Mark Minervini traded almost exclusively based on price action.

Richard Deniss was 100% price action. And yes, he was a lone trader for the most part, but opened an institution for a while that did fairly well.

I am not an institution aficionado, so I really can't tell you more, but I know there are many many many trend following institutions out there.

By the way, there are 1000's of hedge funds. Do you really think not one of them uses pure price action?

Not implying anything about the skill level or risk management of hedge funds...

Anyways, I am sort of killing the topic here.

#39     Jul 17, 2007
  10. Just to let you know (im sure you already know this), you don't need 50% to make profits.

#40     Jul 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.