Tech Analysis on ETF, does it make sense?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Rooster1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Amen, especially since TA is defined as study of price + volume. Every body with ANY sense would look @ price + volume, some study it.If one doesnt even look @ price + volume, your broker could accidently mistake your order.

I have heard of some that dont even look @ brokerage statement when losing,LOL. And whats with all the retail stores dong a 50% off sale?????OH ,, thats TA,[50% off sale] too.LOL

#11     Sep 24, 2014
  2. Bob111

Bob111

Today was a good example of ta or whatever you call it. etf stuff. I would call it a relative strength(?)
    Iwm-ibb-smh. After open iwm sold off while other two stayed flat(if anyone noticed) supported by buyers. Sure enough when market as a whole turned up, ibb and smh outperformed iwm, spy, qqq etc by wide margin.

#12     Sep 24, 2014
  3. %%%%%
    I noticed SMH is more of a rollercoaster+ its easier to bring down 30 stocks than 100; not that DIA or QQQ..... is bear proof. People that don't like to study seem to enjoy the word '' random'' I thought I discovered a random walk one time; but come to find out she simply enjoyed spending time shopping, so she walked/shopped a lot, not really random.LOL

#13     Sep 29, 2014
    JTrades likes this.
  4. jerry parker.PNG

Plus some other little traders on TA:

I realized technical analysis didn’t work when I turned the charts upside down and didn’t get a different answer.”
    -----------Warren Buffett

Charts are great for predicting the past.”
    ------------Peter Lynch

#14     Sep 29, 2014
  5. convexx

convexx

Marty Schwartz turned $40K into $20MM and is a devout technician. The problem with asking a whale about TA is that will not admit to methodology. I've known a few PMs at large funds and a lot of them are exclusively chartists. PTJ made his biggest % gains while using TA. He know allocates to over a hundred PMs, and I know factually that some of them are also devout technicians.

Some of the biggest prop traders I know are spreaders and are technicians.

I will agree that it's akin to admitting a vice. Nobody wants to admit they are spreading x-y and applying NR7 to the chart.

#15     Sep 29, 2014
  6. Redneck

Redneck

Wisdom is..., profitable to direct

:)

RN

#16     Sep 30, 2014
    GoldenMember likes this.
  7. Phew, good catch LOL

#17     Sep 30, 2014
    Redneck likes this.

8. If you listen closely to the PTJ video, TA actually caused Jones to miss the crash by over a year-- therefore he made a killing despite the TA not because of it.

These guys use edges unavailable to most of us, not TA as a total decision making tool. TA has some value but not in the ET sense. surf

#18     Sep 30, 2014
  9. Redneck

Redneck

The non trader..., telling the trader - how it is

LMAO

RN

#19     Sep 30, 2014
  10. jsp326

jsp326

Jerry Parker (whom you "retweeted" here) is a classic trend-follower and original Turtle Trader. By my definition, he uses TA, and it's not esoteric, "unavailable" stuff. Parker believes TA is useless for finding tops/bottoms, prediciting a future change of direction, etc. However, he uses it to determine trends. Rate-of-change, MAs, etc. can all be used for pure trend-following TA. This means you find what the market is currently doing and follow it. No prediction is necessary.

It's really just semantics.

#20     Oct 7, 2014