Teach Me Not to Trade

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hypostomus, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Well, enough preamble. Now I will teach you not to trade. The pre-eminent issue in trading is the time frame, or conversely, the hold time. The devout Christian believes that his true reward is in Heaven, so he is typically a buy-and-holder. By definition long for the long haul.

At the opposite extreme is the convinced atheist, for whom there is no long haul, only the long sleep without end. No waking up in the morning with a hard-on, biblical or otherwise. In the extreme, he is not only anxious about death, but twitchy that it might occur at any second. Such a one is your quintessential scalper.

If you know yourself, you know your hold time.

#21     Mar 13, 2008
  2. gehko

gehko

where would agnostic fall?

#22     Mar 13, 2008
  3. HolyGrail, you are close to the truth. The Plastic Cup of trading profit is that it is like pussy. The less you need it, the more you get. Why should I try to be more as a trader than I am as a person? I am a lazy fat fuck who has schlepped through life and is at the endgame of a mediocre career. My ex wives hate me, my children don't visit, only fat girls will fuck me, and bartenders unceremoniously heave me onto the sidewalk at 3 AM. If I can make $50 a day on one car I am living down to my expectations.

#23     Mar 13, 2008
  4. Gehko, agnostics are too chickenshit to admit that they are atheists.

#24     Mar 13, 2008
  5. gehko

gehko

If you can prove that, i will believe it.

#25     Mar 14, 2008
  6. gehko

gehko

The less than superb post update time that you were talking about earlier might have little to do with elitetrader.com itself and more to do with the proxy you are passed through due to your location.

#26     Mar 14, 2008
  7. Atheism is the ultimate bet. No one can be neutral on the issue of utter extinction versus continuation.

#27     Mar 14, 2008
  8. Thanks. I will pimp another proxy tomorrow.

#28     Mar 14, 2008
  9. gehko

gehko

You could also post to a high priority site such as yahoo or on a different protocol, but that might make the thread clunky.

#29     Mar 14, 2008
  10. gehko

gehko

So are you saying that the amount of time that one holds a stock is directly relational to the duration of the chart they should use?

#30     Mar 14, 2008