Tea party leader expelled over 'racist' rant

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Tea Party activist Mark Williams says he's done discussing the controversy stirred up by his attack on the NAACP, accusing a fellow movement leader of turning the debate into "a World Wrestling style personality conflict."

The National Tea Party Federation, an organization that seeks to represent the Tea Party political movement around the country, has expelled Williams and his Tea Party Express organization because of the inflammatory blog post Williams wrote last week, federation spokesman David Webb said Sunday. In response, Williams announced in another statement on his blog that, "I am refusing all media requests on this" and canceled a scheduled interview on CNN to discuss the controversy Sunday evening, citing a last-minute change in travel plans.

"That careless individual tea partier who assumed the mantel of 'leadership' did so long enough to turn a critical and serious movement and delicate peace with skeptical groups into a World Wrestling style personality conflict with me at the center," Williams said. "There are internal political dramas amongst the various self-anointed tea party 'leaders,' and some of the minor players on the fringes see the Tea Party Express and Mark Williams as tickets to a booking on "Fact [sic] the Nation.' "

Webb appeared on the CBS program Sunday morning to announce that Williams and the Tea Party Express -- which has held a series of events across the country to generate support for the movement -- no longer were part of the National Tea Party Federation.

"We, in the last 24 hours, have expelled Tea Party Express and Mark Williams from the National Tea Party Federation because of the letter that he wrote," Webb said of Williams' blog post that satirized a fictional letter from what he called "Colored People" to President Abraham Lincoln.

NAACP President Ben Jealous met Williams' statement by telling CNN, "Good riddance, Mark Williams." But he praised Tea Party activists like Webb, who is African-American, for standing up and "self-policing" their movement.

"As the movement grows up, you have to act responsibly and they have to keep doing what they just did to Mark Williams and make it clear there is no space for bigots here, period," Jealous said.

Williams wrote the incendiary blog post in response to an NAACP resolution that called on Tea Party leaders to crack down on racist elements in the movement. The 101-year-old civil rights group cited signs carried at Tea Party events and racial slurs reportedly shouted at black members of Congress during the heated debate over health care as examples of racism in the movement.

"Dear Mr. Lincoln," began the fictional letter posted by Williams. "We Coloreds have taken a vote and decided that we don't cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards. That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!"

Williams went on to write that the Tea Party movement couldn't be racist because it opposed government bailouts for Wall Street banks and big corporations.

"Bailouts are just big money welfare and isn't that what we want all Coloreds to strive for?" the posting said. "What kind of racist would want to end big money welfare? What they need to do is start handing the bailouts directly to us coloreds!"

Williams, a conservative talk radio host, said the post was intended as satire. He took it down as criticism mounted.

Some political leaders interviewed on Sunday talk shows also said the Tea Party movement itself wasn't racist, but needed to distance itself from any elements that bring prejudice and bigotry to its events.

"There are some members who have used the Tea Party -- whether it's the Tea Party itself, there are some individuals who have tried to exacerbate racial tensions in this country," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Maryland, said on CNN's "State of the Union." "I have seen some virulent fliers that have been directed at our members, clearly referencing race, the president's race and race generally."

On the same show, however, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, steered clear of the issue, saying: "I am not interested in getting into that debate."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/18/tea.party.imbroglio/?hpt=T2&fbid=JXDvqLT1oth

2. Ah yes, the tea party suffers from the same affliction as the republicans,, namely throw your own under the bus at the sole discretion and direction of your enemy.

Just removal of ill received ideas is enough.

Oh and just remember never ever make fun of the outrageous bias of your enemy, they're too stupid to see the irony.

3. POOR lil hermit (probably alone in his mommies unfinished basement) knows he cannot debate me openly (on any subject) and win in any fashion, thus he has me on ignore.

Keep pretending your drivel is not only countered but demolished.

4. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

there ya go!

5. Well, that's better than the democrats who make KKK members senators for half a century.

6. Looks like an accurate summation of their aims and ideals to me.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> [/B][/QUOTE]

7. He may not, but I would be more than happy to. As you were warned quite some time ago, empires rise and fall, and as America is the granddaughter of Rome, she is sharing her fate. What you consider the barbarian hordes are the indigenous population merely returning to the land that was taken from them through superior technology. However, this empire is flawed at long term planning, just as her mother and grandmother was.

You are angry at the fact that you are alive at the start of the decline in this empire, but if you are student of history, you had to know that this was virtually inevitable.

America made all the mistakes that her mother, England, and her grandmother, Rome. So while you may cast derision upon those "barbarian hordes", they are going to rule you and the there is nothing you can do about it.

If fact, they have already begun.............

8. >>NAACP President Ben Jealous met Williams' statement by telling CNN, "Good riddance, Mark Williams." But he praised Tea Party activists like Webb, who is African-American, for standing up and "self-policing" their movement.

"As the movement grows up, you have to act responsibly and they have to keep doing what they just did to Mark Williams and make it clear there is no space for bigots here, period," Jealous said.<<

Too bad the NAACP doesn't have the same standard. Jealous would be out after his Rev. Wright-like tirade to the delegates in which he claimed Tea Party rallies featured signs advocating the lynching of Obama and Eric Holder. He made too many racially divisive and incendiary comments to quote. His remarks could easily have incited violence, as his audience is not exactly known for self-restraint. Mainstream media reaction? chirp... chirp...

And this goon is presented by CNN as a responsible commentator?

9. Do you have an unbiased reason as to why he would not?

10. If the NAACP, or any other Black leadership group that claims to represent the best interest of black people were doing their jobs, they would be addressing the problem of violence in the black community. The fact that the most dangerous thing a black man can run into is another black man needs to be brought front and center. Seems to me if they really cared about their communties they'd be on top of this day and night. Tea party ain't gonna' be killing any black folk like the black man killing each other, that's for damn sure.

Anther cop killed in Chicago this weekend. He was black. Three killed in the last two months, two of the three were black. All were killed by black men.
    http://www.policeone.com/police-her...cago-cop-shot-outside-home-was-set-to-retire/

52 people shot over one weekend a few weeks ago, 7 killed.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/21/chicago-violence-at-least_n_619259.html

15 shootings in six hours
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/19/15-shootings-in-six-hours_n_506093.html

2 dead, 12 wounded in one night.
    http://www.dukesblotter.com/2010/07/news-chicago-series-of-shootings-leave.html

Ten shot this past weekend at Black Expo in Indianapolis, IN. All victims between 10 and 18.
    http://www.ibj.com/ten-wounded-in-3-shootings-at-black-expo/PARAMS/article/21166

This is just a sampling taken over the last couple of months.The list could be endless, and the overwhelming majority is black on black crime. If I were a black man I'd be a hell of alot more worried about one of my own harming me than some Tea Party member. I'd be expecting some help from the NAACP and the like. Of course, that would require some actual action on the part of black leadership and the black community as a whole. Much easier to blame whitey for all the problems.

#10     Jul 19, 2010