tdameritrade

Discussion in 'Options' started by met1989, Mar 7, 2019.

1. met1989

met1989

i trade on thinkorswim platform and for some reason i see my stop price being hit but the option is not sold why is that?

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I don't see how anyone on ET can answer that. You need to call your support.

daniel5198 likes this.
  3. smallfil

smallfil

It probably, has not hit your stop loss or you used a stop limit order. Not smart to use stop losses on options since, the bid and asked spreads are wide. Your fill will be horrendous. Better to have a mental stop then, just exit with a limit order using the bid price as your limit.

4. met1989

met1989

I’m trading the Spx there very tight spreads no? So I should set how much I want to make and set the bid as my limit?

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

1-you should not use stop order in option, IMO, to dangerous.
    2-SPX markets are wider than most.
    3-It is likely that your stop order in SPX is being handled by a broker in the crowd that is going to trade with his friend on the bid or offer.

daniel5198 and zdreg like this.
  6. met1989

met1989

What do Ubmean in the crowd ?

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

SPX has a trading pit - (Trading crowd)
    I do not think the CBOE takes STOP option orders on their system, so it has to be handled by a floor broker or TD's server. Since TD sends most of their orders to a DMM (Designated market maker) on the floor of the CBOE, and your order was delayed, it might have been handled by a broker. Ask them

8. met1989

met1989

Yes that’s what he said to me that they send them in themselves so is it better to trade the spy?

9. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

It is better to manually enter orders to exit vs a stop order.

10. met1989

met1989

So I should look directly at the screen and press hit the second it reaches my target?

#10     Mar 7, 2019