TDAmeritrade question

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by No1KCfan6, Jan 21, 2017.

1. No1KCfan6

No1KCfan6

I sent TDAmeritrade a message a few days ago asking if the short-term redemption fee charged on mutual fund shares that have been held 180 days or less applies to shares purchased through dividend reinvestment. Apparently, customer service didn't understand my question because they messaged me back with an answer that had nothing to do with my question. So today I called and posed the same question to the customer service rep who answered. He gave me at least two different answers that were not answers to my question. After spending a good five minutes getting nowhere with him, I asked to be transferred over to another customer service rep. He did so, and the next service rep who answered gave me a definite answer of no. However, I would like to have that answer confirmed before I go selling shares and get charged $49.99. I'm on disability and have a small TDAM account and don't have money to throw away.

2. sprstpd

sprstpd

Not sure I would trust any answers given to you on ET for this question. Sorry, I don't know the answer. Maybe call in on multiple days and send e-mail questions to TD Ameritrade. If all the responses consistently say you won't be charged, then proceed.

3. No1KCfan6

No1KCfan6

Thanks for your response. Hard to believe I can't find the answer anywhere. If I were paranoid, I'd think that they don't want people to know the answer so they can stick you with the fee.

4. No1KCfan6

No1KCfan6

I just received a survey from TDAM about my latest customer service experience and I really blasted them.:D

5. If you are getting contradictory answers via phone, I suggest logging into the account, then going to the Contact Us section and select Email (It is really Message Center, not really email). Ask your question there. That way if there is any issue down the road, you can point to specific correspondence. Even if they did charge you a fee, if you have correspondence indicating that no such fee should be charged, I am sure they would wave the fee for you

6. No1KCfan6

No1KCfan6

thanks for your response, j_medved. but even if i did that, they could argue that i manufactured the correspondence. screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

7. you miss the point. The correspondence would be on THEIR system. And really, I don't think TDA is going to be arguing with you like that over a $50 charge.