TD Ameritrade...

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by blackbook, Nov 24, 2008.

1. My funds were clear as I had the account for a year and was trading only a small portion.

I don't recall exactly but the changes from my limit sell prices were around 7%, which took the trades from clear winners to losing.

I was up quite a bit but the finagling was such a blow that I've not traded for two weeks and am still looking for 2 new brokers to use,
    who are fast and reliable, perhaps TOS and IB but I need to learn more about them before trading again.

#11     Nov 25, 2008
  2. Yeah, amtd just took 200k from me and said they needed cash for a xmas party.

you too?

#12     Nov 25, 2008
  3. You can connect your TD Ameritrade to Quotetracker for FREE and get access to Quotetracker's trading platform and incredibly powerful charting application.

My only caution is that you should pump a 3rd party data-feed ( such as DTN ) into Quotetracker instead of using Ameritrades feed, which is way too slow for daytrading purposes.

As for commissions, they can always be negotiated lower, given volume.

#13     Nov 25, 2008
  4. Until this issue is clarified and/or cleared up, I wouldn't want to trade time sensitive trades with TD Ameritrade even if it was for free.

#14     Nov 25, 2008
  5. zdreg

zdreg

there is always some customer who wants to talk about how he got a better deal. from what i hear about amtd they have big problems particularly proper routing when orders are entered. the results are poor executions.my conclusion from people who left is they are an extremely cheap firm nickle and diming client + poor executions. the scandal where they put customer money in money fund which dropped below $1.00 asset value + customer accounts being hacked + viruses from their email has tarnished their reputation. i would stay away.

#15     Nov 25, 2008
  6. What you hear, and what you actually EXPERIENCE can be two entirely different things.

I currently use AMTD and have none of the "issues" that the above poster "hears", or has heard from others.

As I indicated earlier, it does help to use a 3rd party data-vendor for quotes into the Quotetrader platform. I would not even attempt to use TD/Quotetracker with the "streamer" feed from Ameritrade. It just doesn't handle the current volume and volatility well, for trading.

#16     Nov 25, 2008
  7. zdreg

zdreg

#17     Nov 25, 2008
  8. Old news, and something that isn't likely to occur again.

Besides, anyone that doesn't have their money ( and excess capital ) in T-Bills is just asking for problems in this environment - - - regardless of who their broker is.

#18     Nov 25, 2008
  9. zdreg

zdreg

it is not old news since clients of these money funds have not gotten all their money back.further i would not go around making predictions it can't happen again. it was not the 1st shoe to fall in this mess. an alert management would
    have known what is going on. probably they received fees from reserve fund. you sound like a cheerleader for amtd similar to some for IB.
    interestedly the old ceo was quoted as saying that firm assets were never in these kind of securities. customers are just a different animals. higher interest rates attract more assets. amtd went for it. not flattering.

#19     Nov 25, 2008
  10. If nothing else, you have to give credit to TD Ameritrade for staying afloat while E*Trade killed itself on toxic assets.

#20     Nov 25, 2008