TD Ameritrade Held Me Hostage In a Bad Trade- Where to go now?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by lbhere, Jan 30, 2020.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Why didn't you call them during the time when this was occurring ?

Your broker should be on speed dial in your regular telephone and cell phone. Also, have a screen recorder just in case you again have a problematic trade...with a click of the button...you can start recording your screen while you're calling your broker.

Just chalk it up as a $400 lesson.

Simply, it doesn't matter whom you switch to or if you stay where you're at...broker on speed dial plus a screen recorder can be helpful...not hurtful.

wrbtrader

#11     Jan 30, 2020
    murray t turtle and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

Tech issue doesn't affect its price. Co. is being taken over for stock, Price moves with the price of their future partner.

#12     Jan 30, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. smallfil

smallfil

I use the same broker TD Ameritrade and their ThinkorSwim application. In most instances, I get my fills. Of course, I do not wait till the last few minutes to put in my orders. If you screw up, very little time to correct it. If in doubt, call their toll free number. Personally, I would have told them to cancel the order if not filled. If filled and going against me, I would close it out by telling them to sell it at the bid. If you waited instead, of calling them, you have yourself to blame. Inaction in the stockmarket has disastrous effects. If I have orders pending and not getting filled, I would cancel it thru the application and if failing that, call the customer service help desk and have them cancel the order. I never sit around waiting for a bad thing to happen. Remember your monies are at risk.

#13     Jan 30, 2020
  4. lbhere

lbhere

I was jumping in on a market order. Should have filled quickly. And, indeed, it did. It filled. But I didn't know; I didn't know what price, and, worst of all, I COULD NOT GET OUT because there was nothing to reverse in my account for 10 - 15 min. Ugh.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    #14     Jan 30, 2020
  5. lbhere

lbhere

LOL. I don't think you really get what happened. I DID get the fill, but they did not post it to my account for about 10 - 15 minutes. So I was unable to do anything with the filled order. It then went against me. And I DID call. It took over a half hour for them to answer my call. I was on hold when I was finally able to see the filled order and sell at a loss.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    #15     Jan 30, 2020
  6. lbhere

lbhere

Yes, looking into both now. Thank you.

#16     Jan 30, 2020
  7. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

were you trading some risky low-float thinly traded under $10 crap stock???

personally I like stocks $15-$50 share w/minimum 15k shares/minute volume (like PENN today)

day trading stocks under $10 is a terrible idea imho (bad fills, halts, pop n drop)

and I've never had a phone wait of over 5-10 mins w TD; usually its near instant

#17     Jan 30, 2020
    murray t turtle and comagnum like this.
  8. lbhere

lbhere

Yes. Lesson learned. I did call them while this was occuring. I was on hold waiting for them to answer for at least 25 min. While I was on hold I was still trying to close out. The order finally appeared 10-15 minutes later, while I was on hold, and I sold out.

Then about 25 min. into being on hold with them (now 10 min. after being able to sell out, but still upset about the loss), they looked it up, and said the market maker was slow in sending the confirmation back to them.

#18     Jan 30, 2020
  9. lbhere

lbhere

Yes, polite. I edited one comment. Thank you.

#19     Jan 30, 2020
  10. This looks a lot like the games market makers will be playing to get an "edge". Do this enough times over the day and ... you've got a nice profit.

#20     Jan 30, 2020
    wrbtrader likes this.