TBT long play

Discussion in 'Options' started by syswizard, Jul 23, 2011.

1. zdreg

zdreg

great call

#41     Sep 22, 2011
  2. began to leg into March atm/otm calls; gonna look at this as a contrarian play. by early next year these should be significantly higher since market will be looking out 6 months or more from that time-frame.

I guess this is more of a LT investment than a trade, although I could sell front month calls depending on how that looks from now into end of year.

#42     Sep 22, 2011
  3. Well guys, Friday's rout of equities ONCE AGAIN had TBT cratering as money poured into Treasuries.
    Is this the last "hurrah" for bonds ?
    I think so.
    All of the bond shorties have been so "smoked"....and that is a great precursor to the move up in interest rates from all-time historic lows.
    This may not be a fast move, so shorting puts may be better than long call spreads here.

#43     Oct 2, 2011
  4. I agree this is probably another once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like back in 2000 when shorting was a ticket to quick wealth.

The only Q is timing. When do you enter into TB./ I had -March- calls and a OK profit for a week or two; frankly I sold them on the pullback not wanting to waste capital and time in this inane market.

So far as buying and holding TBT away in an 'investment' account; that's likely a good plan. Only does it go to 15 first?

#44     Oct 3, 2011
  5. 15 would be a new worldwide recession coupled with a Greek default.
    Not saying it cannot happen.
    I definitely could.

#45     Oct 3, 2011
  6. This morning TBT bounced like a super-ball off of 18-even...despite the rout in equities.
    This could be "the sign".
    Of course, that was a 52 week low.....

#46     Oct 4, 2011
  7. Yep, and now TBT is safely in the 20's.
    The bottom is in.

#47     Oct 19, 2011
  8. SPOKE TOO SOON. TBT near ALL TIME LOWS.
    Load up on short puts boyz.

#48     Dec 14, 2011
  9. You're just saying random stuff?

#49     Dec 15, 2011
  10. No, just following the market, which as we all know, is pretty random.
    What I like about the TBT long play is that it implicitly has a bottom as interest rates fall to near zero.
    When equities go into a "risk on" scenario, this guy is likely to rise.
    The issue is when.
    There is a decent amount of option volume for near-the-money options....and the spread is only nickle.

#50     Dec 15, 2011