Taxing the Wealthy Kills Jobs Is a Myth, If Not a Whopper

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. What is sure, though, is that economic theory exposes the myth as a falsehood. The theory of the firm developed since the time of Alfred Marshall, the great British economist of the early 20th century, is that firms, private as well as public ones, expand until marginal cost equals marginal revenue. It is then and only then that profits (or whatever else the firm's bottom line may be called) are maximized. Firms keep adding factors of production -- labor among them -- until that point is reached.

When firms decide to add labor to the production process, what matters is their expectations for profits before tax, not after tax. Short of a wholly implausible tax rate of 100% on earnings, the tax rate does not even enter into a firm's decision to hire or not hire.

Written by Walter M. Cadette, an economist (JPMorgan, retired) and formerly senior scholar at the Jerome Levy Economics Institute at Bard College.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1168...obs-is-a-myth-if-not-a-whopper.html?CM_VEN=AD|TWR|JC

2. He went to college. He is a liberal. Take that book learnin bullcrap elsewhere.....yeeeehaaaahhh:D :D

3. stoic

stoic

Again with the cut and paste lift wing propaganda.

4. Simple: Demand drives employers to hire more people. Sure, they, we, whatever, consider taxes in some overall decisions, but if we have too much inventory, we don't hire. If we have too many unfilled orders/services/whatever, then we need to ramp up.

A few percentage points is not going to stop capitalism. However, the government spending has to come down to help us out of the nightmare we're in. Some taxes, and a lot of cuts in spending. No more wasteful, unwanted and un-needed wars and nation building. I'd rather spend the money on Americans through some aid, than other countries.

5. again zero value from you. incapable? i dont waste much time on people of no value. i make them disappear.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

So we're better off with Obama's trickle up poverty then? Who could have known?

7. If you're not ignoring me pspr, which I still think is the most bizarre thing to do on a discussion board. If you can't discuss topics, then how can you believe in your side of the topic?

Could you please address my point about Demand being primary to job creation?

8. stoic

stoic

Apparently you don't spent any time on much of anything.

Past threads from Free Thinker:

Thread: Taxing the Wealthy Kills Jobs Is a Myth, If Not a Whopper
    Cut and paste from thestreet.com

Thread: What Romney believes
    Cut and paste from: ET

Thread: Is the New Testament Reliable?
    Cut and paste from: youtube

Thread: ...scam called religion....
    Cut and paste youtube...

Thread: Ben Bernanke: republicans will destroy the economy
    Cut and paste from: tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com

Thread: .....if you are a republican and even Fox News......
    Cut and paste from: huffingtonpost.com

Thread: Mitt Romney Tax Plan 'Garbage'
    Cut and paste from: huffingtompost.com

Thread: .....invisible man...
    Cut and paste from: freethoughtblogs.com

Thread: Romney the debt hypocrite......
    Cut and paste from: rollingstone.com

Thread: Republican hypocrites on defense spending...
    Cut and paste from: 2012.talkingpointsmemo.com

Thread: Top 5 lies in Paul Ryan's Speech...
    Cut and paste from: tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com

Thread: Paul Ryan: rape.....
    Cut and paste from: huffingtonpost.com

Thread: GOP campaign is based on five......
    Cut and paste from: krugman.blogs.nytimes.com

All from just the last week. I went back further and only found 1 thread started by you that may have been original. (I stress the word "May")

If by some amazing achievement you post something that displays your capable of original thinking, I might spend the time to offer my viewpoint. But then again....past experience has shown that once you and other liberals are faced with a debate the preferred strategy is to revert to name calling and foaming at the mouth.

9. I support someone giving solid references instead of simply typing in their thoughts, no matter how foolish. I think that many who cut and paste, me included, try to add something more than just the facts presented by cut and paste.

Better cut and paste than hiding on ignore. If everyone put people on ignore, we would not have much of a discussion board, would we?

10. Wallet

Wallet

Good grief, there's something brown on your nose

#10     Sep 5, 2012