Taxing Rich 100% Won't Dent Deficit or Debt

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Mercor

Mercor

The President is asking for the rich to pay a fair share.
    How do we determine what is fair?

The top 1% earn 20% of all income what percent of all taxes should they pay?

The bottom 50% earn 5% of all income, what percent of all taxes should they pay?

#21     Aug 21, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

I could be wrong but I believe the point of these remarks
    is that raising taxes on the "wealthy" isn't going to balance the budget. NOT that anyone is advocating actually going to this extreme.

#22     Aug 21, 2011
  3. You're right, raising taxes on the wealthy isn't going to balance the budget, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. The budget will not be balanced without reducing spending AND raising more revenue to offset all the lost revenue due to sky high unemployment. The argument against raising taxes on the wealthy will cause them to not hire just doesn't hold water as evidenced by years and years of them not hiring anyway, even with favorable tax conditions. Corporate America needs to stop with the excuse making and start hiring here at home.
    We need to cut benefits where we can, and tax EVERYONE, top to bottom. I only argue that the budget should not be balanced solely on the backs of the working class, while those that hold the lions share of the blame for this economic disaster skate free.

#23     Aug 21, 2011
  4. How you going to tax a man or woman trying to raise kids on 32k a year? They already pay medicare taxes, SSI taxes, sales taxes, gas taxes, and if they ever had enough money to eat out restaurant taxes.

So what do you want them to cut back on so you can get the satisfaction of knowing we are all paying taxes top to bottom.

Give it a break, stop worrying about what others are paying, just make sure what you are paying is fair. If it's not complain, if it is shut up.

#24     Aug 21, 2011
  5. at anyrate, we are making progress. This is the first time in my life where democrats are not talking about taxing and spending. Now they're just talking about taxing.

Like the man said, you can only tax up to a hundred percent, then what are they going to do?

#25     Aug 21, 2011
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Unreal.

I'll do everthing I can to pay the lowest taxes possible because I'm not going to subsidize anyone's life except my own. This is America not the former Soviet Union. Pay for your own life. Don't have kids if you can't make enough income to afford it. Don't expect others to pay your way.

The basic concept is self-reliance and we are getting awfully far away from it.

#26     Aug 21, 2011
  7. What do the poor get for all the taxes paid? Maybe some foodstamps and some welfare, that's about it.

Do you think a poor person cares about Afghanistan?

And a person making 32k can afford to pay for their own life just not more taxes. How is making them pay income taxes going to improve your life in any way?

#27     Aug 21, 2011
  8. sorry folks, I have a problem when the mkt tanks and some guy braggs his money is in tax free munis and then complains about some guy who beat the system by qualifying for the earned income tax credt.

Isn't there anybody out there anymore who wants low taxes for everyone?

It's bad enough when the poor complain the rich aren't paying enough. Now the rich complain the poor aren't paying enough.

#28     Aug 21, 2011
  9. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Using Los Angeles as an example:

1) Subsized or Free Housing. I'm not talking about the projects, I mean a standalone house in a middle-class neighborhood. Well, middle-class until they arrive. Its called Section-8 out here.

2) Food Stamps/Welfare. In California that means a debit card that can supply cash (for drugs and alcohol) and groceries. A couple in front of me at Trader Joe's was buying king crab legs with theirs the other day. Clothing and most other non-food items can also be purchased with this card.

3) MediCal: Free medical services at any hospital.

4) Transit Assistance: Free pass for the trains, subways and buses. It is surprising that we don't just supply free cars.

5) Utility Assistance: Free electricity, natural gas or propane. Free telephone service.

6) Education Assistance: The poor pay virtually nothing at every University in LA including the expensive ones, USC, CalTech, UCLA, Harvey Mudd etc.

Why should I pay for that? America isn't supposed to supply such things, America was conceived to provide the *opportunity* to attain a better life through education and employment. You folks want to turn it into liberal Europe. Every see the slums of Paris? Those folks don't even try to become educated or employed because their every need is provided for free. Still, they riot regularly and those riots have spread to the UK. It isn't working there and it won't work here.

#29     Aug 21, 2011
  10. well I agree the government shouldn't be doing that, but taxing either the rich or the poor is a bad solution to fix it.

#30     Aug 21, 2011