Taxes for Foreigners

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ZinedineZidane, Dec 3, 2001.

1. shyhh

shyhh

Haha ! It's a good idea to withdraw some of your capital when you are not using it for trading. Who knows... eveyone dies someday.

#11     Dec 11, 2001
  2. Do any of our Non-US citizens know of someone who is knowledgeable about work visa requirements for European countries and / or Virgin Islands. I want to help these people in some way other than "check with the INS" ....any ideas??

#12     Jan 3, 2002
  3. #13     Jan 3, 2002
  4. I've actually been a citizen for a few months now, but I know the process well. I immigrated from Denmark on a visa in 1991.

The process usually involves applying for an H1 or L1 visa. Since this would be a new employee (not a transfer), H1 is the correct one. There are also student visa, but they are very restrictive and does not allow the applicant/employee to seek employment.

To obtains an H1 the employer would have to prove that there is no qualified US citizen that can do the equivalent job . This involves advertising the position in national newspapers, internal postings, web postings etc. The employer has to go through the hiring process with all applicants and still "decide" that the applicant is the best qualified.

The applicant would not stand much of a chance unless he/she has at least a BS or MS (or is Canadian). Each country has a quota, so it often helps to apply early in the year. Many countries quotas run out over the summer.

The applicant also has to pass medial exams etc.

H1's are good for 4 years (I belive) and can be extended to 6. After that you have to been on a green card or a boat home.

hope this helps !

Allan

#14     Jan 3, 2002
  5. Thanks for the input. Since Bright Trading does not actually "employ" these people, although they are members of our LLC and are (or will be) licensed traders, are there any other qualifications that you know of.? Would joining our business structure meet the basic standards of the INS?
    Thanks again!!

#15     Jan 3, 2002
  6. #16     Jan 3, 2002
  7. Two things I can think of:
    1. does your LLC allow non-citizens or non-residents to join?
    2. if you allow non-residents to join, you would likely be responsible for filing the appropriate tax documents in the country of the traders residence. With labor laws in Europe being what they are, that could prove impossible without lots of local professional help.

Sorry, that's all I can think of.

#17     Jan 3, 2002
  8. We have non citizens already, but have not had to file any non resident tax papers (as of yet).

Thanks for you help!!

#18     Jan 4, 2002
  9. DarynC

DarynC

I can't provide any details but since Bright Trading has an office in Vancouver, why not look at the Canadian requirements. I'd be willing to bet it's a lot easier to get a work visa in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/
    Citizenship & Immigration Canada

DarynC

#19     Jan 5, 2002
  10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

I am joining the thread late.
    If you are a US firm and want to include foreigners it is not that difficult.
    a non resident alien (a foreigner-non citizen not living in US) just has to file a W8BEN form to the company. (I mean beside other required license if any, I am talking only about the tax part here).
    Then the company withholds 30% of profits. That's it.

if there is a treaty between the 2 countries, AND the non resident alien wants to claim the benefits of this treaty , it must file a W7 form to get a ITIN (special tax identification). That individual will have to file tax return info to US (and get credit tax to file on its own country tax return). Then the withholding is starting at 15% (increases with more profits).

In all cases, there is no implication for the company (besides accounting and paying the tax kept aside from this non resident alien).

This information is for a non employee non resident alien dealing with a C Corporation. Some special considerations are possible for LLC. But since this form of business is pass through, it should be correct information.

tntneo

PS this is true for canadians too.
    canadians can claim treaty benefits (15% min Capital gains 20%). The amount of tax paid already in US is simply declared as tax credit on their return.
    Again it is not difficult to do this, countries always find ways to let you make money and take their share of it. So if you want to make money in the US but you don't live there it is no problem. You will pay taxes. The only difficulties come when you try not to pay. Don't try. It ain't worth it.

#20     Jan 7, 2002