Taxes for Foreigners

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by ZinedineZidane, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Hi

Can someone give me some advice?

I am interested in going to trade in a proffessional firms office like Bright or Weismann in the US. I am currently living in Europe and wonder if there is someone else in my situation or maybe someone that is already doing this. What I am wondering is if it possible to get some kind of VISA in the US for this?

:confused:

2. sabena

sabena

I also live in Europe (Belgium) and I also want to known this.
    I think that if you contact Brigh tor ask Don directly , he could
    tell you more about this because there must be foreigners
    trading with them....

just a suggestion...

3. If you read this, can you help us? Or someone else with the knowledge? I am sure there is a lot of Europeans that wants to know this. A good opportunity to make some more money for the proffesional firms... :D

4. he le footballeur!

Isn't there any prop firm in Europe? I would guess you could find a few opportunities in London. In the US I think you would have to be eligible for a job in a US company.

5. If you get a work visa, you are subject to US tax.
    If you trade from other countries, you need to fill out the
    W8BEN form correctly to avoid paying US tax.

I am not a tax expert, as long as you are in US more than 6 months during the tax year, any income, capital gains, interest are subject to US tax. Unless you country of residence has some kind of tax treaty.

6. If you get a work visa, you are subject to US tax.
    If you trade from other countries, you need to fill out the
    W8BEN form correctly to avoid paying US tax.

I am not a tax expert, as long as you are in US more than 6 months during the tax year, any income, capital gains, interest are subject to US tax. Unless you country of residence has some kind of tax treaty.

7. Thing is, almost every European country has a tax treaty with the US. So I guess you'd have to check the particular tax treaty the US signed with your country to make sure what the rules are. And since some of these are a bit hard to understand, you might want to consult an attorney.

http://www.irs.gov/prod/ind_info/treaties.html

voodoo

8. You will usually be able to trade your OWN money remotely with a US prop. firm if you have got the right exams. If you want to trade THEIR money (for firms that give this option), you will have to get a US working visa... to get a US working visa, a firm will have to prove that there are no US citizens that are going after the job... this is VERY unlikely, since every Tom, Dick and Harriet wants to trade Other People's Money.

If you are simply wanting to be a remote prop trader in Europe (using your own money), you will register with your local tax authority as a trading concern and pay your local corporate tax rates (after signing various bits of paper from your prop firm to exclude you from US taxes).

9. Yes, you are right, it is very unlikely that a US firm may hire you except if you are really exceptional and that no american will do the same job as you. As you said, this is very rare. Moreover, it is better to trade remote from europe since you have all the facilities you need. It is certainly not necessary to go to the US for that kind of job. However, I asked one day a day trading firm and they said that they accpeted in house traders from europe. The thing is that you won’t go for a work visa but only a tourist visa. The second point is that when you manage your money, you are not working for an institution but for yourself and you could do it from anywhere in the world USA included and you will be liable for taxes in your country of origin. by the way the firm was not a prop trading firm so may be this won't apply to them????

Good luck guys
    :) :) :)

10. If you are worth more than $1.2 million US and your trading account is in the US, even if you are not, your estate may become liable for US estate taxes if the stress of trading the account kills you.

#10     Dec 5, 2001