Taxes at IB

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by roncer, Feb 3, 2007.

1. roncer

roncer

Can anyone share their method of compiling a tax return from an IB account? Last year I sent in all trades and that amounted to around 500 pages! Honest.

This year I would sure like to find a less cumbersome way to do the necessary. Any and comments much appreciated.

Ron

2. well, if you switch to futures, no need to list any trades. just yor P&L for the year, which is already supplied by your broker on the 1099.

3. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

I use a HP duplex laser printer.
    I printed 2 pages per side on both sides.
    This can reduce the pages by 75%.

4. roncer

roncer

Jayford,

That's interesting about futures. I primarily trade OEX options

currently. Does any body know the story on options?

Ron

5. roncer

roncer

Sanjuro,

I have a dell laser but no knowledge on if I can or how to set up

for printing 2 pages on both sides. But thanks for the idea I may

find a way.

Ron

6. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

You cannot print both sides unless you have a duplex printer.
    The best thing you can do is print 2 pages per side reducing the pages by 50%.

I attached a picture of my Printer Settings.

EDIT:

I just saved all 12 months into Excel Files. Imported all 12 Months into my $50 Tax Software and generated a PDF file and it's only 14 pages. The report generated is off my 1099 by 10 cents.

I didn't realize it but IB actually lets you print out your Schedule from there Tax Forms of the Web Page. It says I have 99 Pages.

The problem with IB's Schedule D is when a trade of 2000 shares gets broken up into 200/300/500/200/200/200/400 shares, IB generates 7 lines of trades just for 1 Trade. But I don't think it's worth paying $50 more just to mail in less pages.

7. so this hp printer prints 2 pages on each side of the paper? so it really prints 4 pages per sheet? man i need that.how many sheets does it print per minute with this type double sided printing?

8. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

I never really timed it but it's about 20 pages a minute normally and 10 pages a minute on duplex mode.

I use a HP LaserJet 1320 as you can see from the picture.

9. so sanjuro are you getting 4 pages per 1 page of paper?(2 pages per side)? that hp model gets ok ratings but they say its expensive. who else has those duplex printers?

10. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

Yes, I'm getting 4 pages per 1 page of paper. It saved me the previous year when my schedule d was around 120 pages and I printed it on 30 pages.

Look up 'duplex printer' on Amazon and you can find some $200 printers. But I would NOT buy a printer just for printing out tax returns.

Check your local Kinkos and go print over there.

#10     Feb 4, 2007