tax revolt

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ah - that's a more narrow interpretation than I had thought (assumed, actually) - thanks for the info. :cool:

#111     Nov 7, 2002
  2. trdrmac

trdrmac

Sure, I saw something on RM about year end portfolio adjustments, so it got me thinking about my friends at ET.

I think it is I-Shares that has XLK as their tech index, it is a little more narrow than QQQ. But last year around December they ran an add about swapping XLK for QQQ for tax purposes. Im sure they will have a similar add this year. Stuff like that isn't as good as a tax court case to support a decision, but it provides confirmation that the switch is OK. And if nothing else, tell em you read it online.

#112     Nov 7, 2002
  3. graeco

graeco Guest

In the examples above,the similarity of the symbols might attract the IRS attention.Then if they compared the charts and found them similar they might impose the wash rule simply because the charts were similar.

#113     Nov 7, 2002
  4. trdrmac

trdrmac

It is possible. I just looked at the top ten holdings, they are different between the three. The other option would be to switch in to VTI or MDY or IWZ, I suppose it is a matter of comfort with making the decision.

And if you look at the last rally growth as a whole has had better performance than value. Where last year, value outperformed growth.

#114     Nov 7, 2002
  5. Simba

Simba

Has anybody tried (or at least considered) to set up an international corporation in a tax-haven country, then opening up a broker account under this corporation, to avoid taxes?

If yes:

What are your experiences with this (or knowledge about this)?
    Is this legal?
    Can the IRS track one down?
    Will the major brokerage firms let a corporation from a tax-haven country open up an account?

:confused:

#115     Dec 11, 2002
  6. What do you mean exactly with europe :)

>I would encourage to travel to europe. I thank GOD everytime I come back to the United States.

#116     Dec 11, 2002
  7. That's what the banks do and it's legal for them but for you is another story :)

#117     Dec 11, 2002
  8. TGregg

TGregg

At first, I was infavor of this idea, then (after much thought) I decided "No freaken way". Sure, if it actually happened that way (and stayed that way) life would be good. Suppose we did that. For a few years, we'd be doing great. Then, the government would need a new give-away program (maybe national daycare or pre-pre-pre-kindergarten or socialized medicine or heck, maybe just free cat food for everybody), and they would reimpose the income tax! Then we'd have them both. What a joy that would be.

#118     Dec 11, 2002
  9. chisel

chisel

Or they'd raise the national sales tax. :mad:

#119     Dec 11, 2002
  10. maxpi

maxpi

Read the tax code sometime, it is nothing much more than thousands of licenses to steal. You contribute to your politician's election fund and then they write you a license to steal. I don't have the tax code but a friend of mine does, I've read it, it's part of doing business nowadays.

Under the freedom of information act you can demand that the IRS present documentation that they are following their own procedures, if they cannot, you can get out of taxes. That came about because of the tax reform of 1998. I've heard that works but I would not want to find out the hard way that it did not.

Max

#120     Dec 11, 2002