tax revolt

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by Gordon Gekko, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Josh_B

Josh_B

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, it was planned that way".

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Josh

#91     Sep 10, 2002
  2. Josh_B

Josh_B

"Of all contrivances for cheating the laboring classes of mankind, none has been more effective than that which deludes them with paper money".

- Daniel Webster

Josh

#92     Sep 10, 2002
  3. Cesko

Cesko

The demand for ways to erase the paper trail will create new encryption techniques and possibly a new currency "outside" the current one, among other things.
    There are not too many things Internet (in more mature stage) will be better at than creating some kind of international independent currency (not denominated in $$, backed by who knows what). It's gonna be a major screw up for politicians. More bureaucrats push for control sooner it will happen.
    There are people who say that huge changes in structures of society will follow.
    Not so long ago I read an article on SS and wondered why the hell do I hear about ENRON,WORLDCOM constantly? It's nothing comparing to SS scheme.

#93     Sep 10, 2002
  4. I'm ignorant. What do you mean when you say SS? Social Security? What was the article?

Thanks,
    Carl

#94     Sep 10, 2002
  5. Cesko

Cesko

(Social Security)

Sorry when I am at Borders I take a bunch of magazines and go through it so I am not sure. I think it was The American Heritage.

#95     Sep 10, 2002
  6. TAfool

TAfool

#96     Sep 10, 2002
  7. TAfool, that's funny. It has a hair-combing effect if your speakers are turned up.

#97     Sep 10, 2002
  8. jasper6

jasper6

The SS. Isn't that the outfit John Ashcroft heads up?

#98     Sep 11, 2002
  9. I am reading "Stocks Bonds Options Futures" by Stuart R. Veale in the muni bonds section he mentions a tax revolt that occured in California (without more details). Can anyone recall what caused the revolt and when it happened? Thanks

#99     Oct 16, 2002
  10. I think you're talking about Proposition 13 in 1978. That's when we had all of that double digit inflation, and on top of that people in California were paying ridiculously high property taxes. Many were having to sell their homes because they couldn't afford the taxes. Howard Jarvis led a tax revolt. Prop. 13 passed that cut taxes dramatically.

Larry

#100     Oct 16, 2002