Tax residency for a true (non-American) digital nomad?

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by mitchell_1, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Yes, the unassailably correct answer to any tax question posed on EliteTrader is 'talk to a professional, dummy'. I'm most certainly not going to take any poster's opinion as gospel. But I've found it's still useful to solicit replies as some may have faced or looked into something similar before and be able to provide some good pointers or links.

#11     Dec 27, 2020
  2. blink18

blink18

It's not even standard compared to Canada as one poster explained above. The point is, if you live in high tax developed country, your taxman will make sure you don't "escape" easily.

#12     Dec 27, 2020
  3. rb7

rb7

The country where your trading account is registered should be considered as your taxable country, but this is only my guess.

#13     Dec 27, 2020
    VPhantom likes this.
  4. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

You'll likely still be a Canadian resident and there are likely advantages to being so. Unless you meet the residency requirements of another country and revoke your Canadian status. There are many important considerations such as where you bank, how you get paid ( eg corp vs personal ), health care and travel medical. It's a lot cheaper to be covered medically as a Canadian ( with Canadian health coverage ) travelling for business using private plans; if you don't cover yourself you risk financial ruin.

#14     Dec 27, 2020
    VPhantom likes this.
  5. Nine_Ender

Nine_Ender

"Leaving Canada" can take many forms; you can work as a digital nomad for 5 years and maintain full Canadian residency and health care ( some paperwork necessary ). Severing your ties is a big step with numerous repercussions not all good for a true digital nomad.

#15     Dec 27, 2020
    VPhantom likes this.
  6. tsznecki

tsznecki

I believe Canada requires one to have no "ties" to the country. Whether simply filing the exit paperwork is sufficient I am not sure.

I have heard that you need to give up bank accounts, brokerages, memberships in clubs etc etc.

#16     Dec 27, 2020
  7. El Trado

El Trado

Yes, for example in Norway, which is in Europe, you still have to pay Norwegian tax for 4 years after you leave the country. Doesn't matter if you have sold all your stuff and haven't been back during those 4 years...

#17     Dec 28, 2020
  8. luisHK

luisHK

Absolutely right ime, u might ask different lawyers in the same country and get different opinions. It s useful to look for others' experiences online.

#18     Dec 28, 2020
  9. virtusa

virtusa

I can confirm from personal and real experience that what you tell is true. In Europe you will always be taxed SOMEWHERE, no matter where you go or how long you stay somewhere. For each possible scenario there is a taxation rule.
    In Europe the rule is that if you don't stay anywhere for 183 days, you will be taxed in the country from which you have your nationality. Maybe if you become stateless it might work, but that will cause a lot of other problems. I have somewhere the text but am too lazy to try to find it.

Check a professional tax advisor as for each country there are different possible rules and depending on the kind of income it can change again. A professional tax advisor will only give you an advice for a specific and very detailed situation. But if afterwards you change your situation slightly it can change your fiscal situation completely.

Best is also to ask a ruling from the country where you want to go, if not you are NEVER sure that what the tax advisor told you, will be accepted. Tax advisors give only advice, the finance ministry will decide what you will pay.

The most simple thing you can do is move to Monaco. Deposit between 500k and 1000K on a Monegask bank account, maybe they ask even more and rent a flat. Starting price for a flat is around 5k a month for a very small flat. You need to pay 4 months rent in advance (3 as guarantee) and hope they will rent to you which is never sure.

The cheapest solution in Europe is to go to Bulgaria. 10% flat fee, and very small contribution to social security. You should live there at least 183 days a year.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    #19     Dec 28, 2020
    marketp and VPhantom like this.
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

In Europe there are already 4-5 countries for digital nomads with huge tax breaks. Search this subforum I posted about them already. Another good source of information about health insurance etc. is

www.reddit.com/r/digitalnomad

As a minimum, you want to pay into a healthcare system so you would get subsidized care if something happens to you.

Also, there are no taxes in North Korea, if that is your only requirement for a country. :)

I would get on a Canadian expat website and see how your countrymen did it.

#20     Dec 28, 2020
    VPhantom likes this.