tax rates and the constitution

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FRuiTY PeBBLe, Apr 18, 2003.

1. How can a sane person not agree with this basic logic?

Give incentives for doing well, don't penalize the successful. Otherwise we move to Havana.

#11     Apr 18, 2003
  2. Fruity,

Thank you for bringing this matter to the attention of ET. Your complaint has been resolved in your favor.

Your local jurisdiction will be receiving instructions to amend your tax bill.

#12     Apr 18, 2003
  3. So true...but so sad because it's not how it works. It's the opposite right now. Do nothing and they'll give you breaks. Work hard and if you're successful, they'll tax the fuck out of you and give the money to some irresponsible person. FUCK FUCK FUCK THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

#13     Apr 18, 2003
  4. hehe :p

#14     Apr 18, 2003
  5. FOR THE RECORD, HERE'S WHAT I'M FOR, OVERALL......

With all the money the government takes in, everyone should get some basic type of health care. If you can afford your own and want better service or something, maybe you get some reimbursement or something.

So, the government should have a military to protect us, police to keep order, and a basic system of keeping our people alive health-wise. The government should do pretty much NOTHING ELSE (some money for national parks, NASA, etc. is OK) and have either flat taxes or consumption taxes. if you think you're not paying enough, you have the ability to donate more of ur money to the gov. (that's for u democrats).

The government's job should basically be: we'll do our best to keep you healthy and safe. After that, we treat everyone equal and you're on your own.

F. P.

p.s. and get rid of all this PDT crap, too. yeah, like that is what our government's job should be......to decide how often i fucking make trades.......what the hell is going on with our country!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? does what i say not make sense, or what?!?

#15     Apr 18, 2003
  6. I believe it has nothing to do with the US Constitution - you might find some provisions in your state constitution relating to taxation of property.

the US Constitution does discuss Federal taxes:
    Section. 8. Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

note this provision, however:
    Section 2, Clause 3:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers...

which was a problem for plans for an individual Federal Income Tax -- so they got rid of that annoyance with the 16th Amendment:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

#16     Apr 18, 2003
  7. Madison,

Thank you for that post.

How can they make the 16th amendment? If in the constitution it says you can amend anything you want, then what is the purpose of starting off with some rules?!

It's like, hey, here are some rules which we think will probably run a good country...but go ahead and change them and fuck it all up if you want. maybe if the people really do want the change, but do the people of america really want our current situation? it just seems like something went wrong somewhere and now it's out of control.

when did the people of the usa decide to override the constitution and choose this 16th amendment crap?!!?!?! i don't remember me or my ancestors voting for that. obviously, i'm no expert in this area..forgive me if this post sucks. hehe

#17     Apr 18, 2003
  8. :D of course the people didn't choose it... their politicians did. but when the pol's want it, who cares what the people think? however, if you start discussing unpopular, unrequested laws, we'll be here for weeks....

the Constitution sets out a procedure - thankfully it is (still) very difficult to get this many people to agree on an amendment:

#18     Apr 18, 2003
  9. Has there been a tax cut of any kind in any amount in the last 25 years that the Democrats did not oppose? Their objections change with the seasons, but the bottom line is always the same, they want your money. When they say, as Bill Clinton did in his first campaign, that they favor a middle class tax cut, they are lying. His first act was to impose a dramatic tax increase that we still are getting hosed by.

#19     Apr 18, 2003
  10. the overall effective tax burden has only increased. if tax revenue is reduced in one area, it is raised in another to compensate, or shifted to debt to be repaid later. tax bills cannot be passed without support from both sides of the aisle. all the republican vs. democrat crap is just talk - in the end the tax burden goes up, and you are poorer.

#20     Apr 18, 2003