Tax question re: day trading in/out same stock

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by jonnyz1245, Nov 27, 2008.

1. I strongly suggest that you not ever bring up what you did, you'll have much more than than taxes to worry about.

FWIW,

Don

#11     Nov 28, 2008
  2. Surdo

Surdo

At least the two buddies will have nice matching striped outfits at the pen...certainly not the smartest thing to do/advertise!

surdo

#12     Nov 28, 2008
  3. spindr0

spindr0

Like the OP, I day trade a pool of stocks very frequently (pairs trading where one side usually incurs a loss) and I'm having trouble with details of the wash sale rule. I understand that although mark-to-market would avoid this, it's too late to file the request for this year.

I could keep trading the stocks with wash sale issues but then it becomes a paperwork nightmare carrying the losses forward (I trade heavily).

I think that my only alternative at this point is to avoid trading the stocks with losses for 30 days after the loss so I need to set up a "Can't trade until (date)" list. So my question is...

Suppose on Dec. 1st I realize a $500 loss on XYZ. Choice A is wait 30 days before trading it again. Choice B is that I trade XYZ again, deferring the $500 loss until the 2nd trade is closed. Suppose on Dec. 10th I trade XYZ again and realize a $600 gain. Since the gain exceeds the loss, the net gain is $100. Is the wash sale negated and can I continue trading XYZ w/o any add'l concern for that initial loss on Dec 1st?

Suppose in the above example I only made $400 back on Dec 10th and the net is a loss of $100 carried forward. Does my 30 day "no trade" extend from Dec 1st or Dec 10th?

TIA for any info and if you know of a web source that details the applicable governmentese in understandable Anglish, I'd appreciate it :)

#13     Dec 18, 2008
  4. cstfx

cstfx

5. rwk

rwk

I don't think anybody (including the IRS) knows for sure how this stuff should be handled, because the rules were not created for day traders. In your example, I would not defer the $500 loss. Note that if you decide to wait 30 days before trading xyz again, some or all of that thirty days can be in January.

#15     Dec 18, 2008
  6. I'm curious. I use mark to market but this talk of wash sales has me thinking.

S0 long as you close out everything by year end is there any difference?

For example:

Say you buy 1000 RIMM at 44.00, sell at 43.70...loss -300

Then you buy 1000 RIMM at 44.00 again and sell at 43.70..loss -300

Then you buy 1000 RIMM at 44.00 and sell at 45.50..profit +1500.

So your net gain is +900.00.

How would the wash rule change this?

#16     Dec 22, 2008
  7. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

if you make enough money to pay a accountant to do your taxes, just give your account your entire yearly statement.

#17     Dec 22, 2008
  8. OffTilt

OffTilt Guest

If you purchase RIMM in the first 30 days of the 2009 (assuming you traded it in Dec 08) the -600 is deferred to your 2009 taxes. Therefore, your 2008 taxes will show a net gain of +1,500.

#18     Dec 22, 2008
  9. Thanks that makes sense.

So really its just those dec/jan trades that the wash rule effects for a daytrader?

I just never heard anyone talk about this. Everyone I know is probably mark to market I suppose.

#19     Dec 22, 2008
  10. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

don't listen to anyone here not qualified to give tax advice.

you could be pay too less or too much tax than you should.

#20     Dec 22, 2008