Tax question on trading remotely

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by hypo, Apr 7, 2008.

1. hypo

hypo

Hi guys,

Anyone trading in California but getting K-1 from another state (NY to be specific)? Not sure if I have to pay for New York income tax as well as California.

:confused:

Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

2. Are you getting this as a part year resident?

If so, you prorate

Or do you have a business in both places? Are you an active/passive investor?

You are a little nebulous here

3. hypo

hypo

Live and trade full time in California....my prop firm is New York based so they issue a K-1 out of a NY LLC

4. You pay only were you live and work. I would speak with your firm or an account. Your LLC might have to pay tax in NYC since you are a partner though.

5. When it comes to the very greedy New York State the tax laws are not so simple. From the New York Times:

Telecommuters Not Exempt From New York Tax

By MICHAEL COOPER

Published: March 30, 2005

LBANY, March 29 - Commuters from out of state who take cars, trains and buses to jobs in New York have long grumbled about having to pay New York State income tax. A ruling handed down on Tuesday by the state's highest court found that the growing ranks of telecommuters from out of state must also pay.

The Court of Appeals ruled 4 to 3 that a computer programmer for a group of trade unions in Queens who works mostly out of his home in Nashville must pay New York State tax on all his income, not just on part.