Tax on Trades Should Be Part of Rescue Plan, Some Democrats Say

Discussion in 'Trading' started by seasideheights, Sep 25, 2008.

1. If the proposal is just for a tax on profits then that's manageable obviously.

#481     Sep 30, 2008
  2. Unless you're Jack Hershey in which case it would be trillions of $.

#482     Sep 30, 2008
  3. Hmmm, interesting. I'm still thinking it's on the transaction and the articles got it wrong, though, since that's what his original letter said and I don't see how it being on the profits is much different than raising the capital gains tax?

#483     Sep 30, 2008
  4. I'm thinking the article misunderstood it.. to just tax on the profits would be just a simple addition to the cap gains tax or income tax for short term traders

#484     Sep 30, 2008
  5. OffTilt

OffTilt Guest

#485     Sep 30, 2008
  6. Absolutely... hopefully this means the transaction tax was just a non-starter and this is the best he could come up with

#486     Sep 30, 2008
  7. why would one put a tax on stocks when they're in a huge bear mkt? you add taxes when things are good. its like pouring salt in a wound. lets say avg person on here trades 300k of stock a day. thats only arounf 10k shares a day. at .25% thats $750 a day in taxes. lol 99.9% of this board will be ex traders in hours

#487     Oct 1, 2008
  8. #488     Oct 1, 2008
  9. Okay, this article quotes DeFazio directly, I don't think he'll be dropping this. Email your own representative, I think, and stress to them the impact this can have on jobs and the dollar. I think emailing DeFazio is most likely falling on deaf ears.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/search/131419//story.csp

Excerpt:

“I think it’s too risky to play Russian roulette with the fragile structure of the American economy,” said Scott Bart lett, a former local Democratic Party chairman and member of the Lane County Budget Committee. “Yes, Wall Street created this problem, but it doesn’t mean we should just ignore it.

“This is really destroying the entire credit market,” he said.

DeFazio said he lobbied for a 0.025 percent securities transfer tax to be added to the bill to protect taxpayers, but was ignored. A securities transfer tax, DeFazio said, would have a negligible impact on the average investor and provide a disincentive to high volume, speculative short-term traders.

The United States has had a similar tax in the past, DeFazio said. Such a tax would not put U.S. markets at a competitive disadvantage, he added, noting that the United Kingdom has a financial transaction tax of 0.5 percent, as do many other exchanges.

“That would be the only way to get my vote for a proposal that I don’t think will work,” DeFazio said.

#489     Oct 1, 2008
  10. .025% or .25%??

#490     Oct 1, 2008