Tax on Trades Should Be Part of Rescue Plan, Some Democrats Say

Discussion in 'Trading' started by seasideheights, Sep 25, 2008.

1. piazzi

piazzi

how about a special tax levied on all earnings of firms that receive tax payer bailout?

How about a 5% tax on bonuses of executives of firms that receive tax payer bailouts?

How about a 1% tax on earnings of all those who decide to grant tax payer bailouts?

piazzi

#281     Sep 27, 2008
  2. Look....

The only thing that is really going to help this situation is how to upwardly influence the value of a house.....and to keep people from walking away....

All this problem is...in simple terms is that there are 15 million homes at $240,000 par value....that went to $70,000.....and all that can be done now....is to make the value as high as possible.....

High as possible with tax credits etc...is probably at 170,000.....

Everything else has to wash out ....

Look....the big boys put down 3% on a $24 stock that went to $7...and got wiped...and whoever grabs the $7 may see the $17....

That's it......

They can dance around other crap all they want......but this is it....

The diff between $24 vs $17 is the amount that somebody has to eat.....

Low interest long term bonds....and lower taxes will increase the tax take....

If a simple consumption tax was introduced....the US tax take would skyrocket.....businesses from all over the world would flock to the US....

And this is all they are worried about...the tax take....

Lower, simpler taxes....and a lot less legal largesse means a lot more taxes.....

#282     Sep 27, 2008
  3. i hope you're right, but remember that pensions just pass along the costs - the pension fund is NOT ultimately paying the tax... all funds will be taxed at same rate, so relative performance would stay the same. so does Gabelli really care, except to the extent that investors withdraw funds?

i doubt that Gabelli of any other sane person is laughing at this.. you might turn over your account 100% plus a day - Gabelli maybe that much in a year or two.

again, i hope you a right... once an idea like this gets floated, it seems to never go away.

#283     Sep 27, 2008
  4. bears21

bears21

ways around this, the law makes you find another loophole why do you think bookies in this country are still around they re locate, stocktraders dont care what markets they trade they just want to trade so if it means relocating to another country it might not be a bad thing with they way the future of this country looks cost of living will be cheaper and you should be making the same income as back home, or and i think this is the path most of us will take if there are some exemptions and i think there will be renting exchange status seems to be the play if you belong to an llc or form some entity that might be the tax you have to pay to stay in business, unless the irs doesnt consider this a write off then the guns will be a blazing

#284     Sep 27, 2008
  5. No...Gabelli would laugh at how stupid it is....and he and his pals would spend a few million for a few lobbyists....and just look at it as the cost of doing business.....

People like Gabelli are used to dealing with nonsense.....

And people like Gabelli are not going to let shit like this happen.....

#285     Sep 27, 2008
  6. Klamath

Klamath

That's the most magnificent run-on sentence I have ever seen. :D

#286     Sep 27, 2008
  7. Ironically, Peter DeFazio has a great record on h-1b and immigration in general - being on the 'take' doesnt lead to a record like his

http://profiles.numbersusa.com/improfile.php3?DistSend=OR&VIPID=677

so good, i'm surpirsed i'd never heard of him prior to this transaction issue

my point is this - i think there's a chance he's a good guy, but just caught up in the emotion of this - Lord knows i feel screwed by the bailout

I really think, if he knew he was crushing a person (me, and many other tech refugees) who was crushed by H-1b (and that I'm NOT now causing this problem) it might sway him.

he doesnt have a numbersusa 'prick' profile. this may be more a perception issue than a character issue

that's why it's important that our side pleads with him respectfully

it's obvious that he has listened to reason on H-1b visas

most of them dont

he needs to realize that some of the moles he's trying to whack are innocent

#287     Sep 27, 2008
  8. Klamath

Klamath

So you're going to contact him?

#288     Sep 27, 2008
  9. bookies are around in horseracing b/c the takeout is so large that it kills the track odds. they take the bet and then payout track odds (net of the takeout). the bookies are more efficent than the tracks, because they dont have to disburse the takeout to the horseman, purses, etc... at least until they get caught. thats why vegas never wanted to co-mingle their pool with the tracks. i dont remmeber the exact dust-up, but that was it.

but just look at this.

you go long $100 stock, you make a buck.. the tax is $.25 +$.2525 or .5025. the govt takes over 50% of your gain and then taxes the other 49.75% at ordinary (income) tax rate. in Cali if you pay close to 40% combined rate, your tax would lower gain to just under 30% (29.75%). so you made $.30 net on that trade. if your next $100/share trade is a scratch, you still owe $.25 in and $.25 out or $.50... so you are down $.20 for the day... and thats with a 1% gainer and a scratch... does not include brokerage commish and overhead. over time, they chew you up, just like the racetrack punter.

#289     Sep 27, 2008
  10. yup

and i'd urge that anyone who does have a respectfull attitude

because he thinks he's crushing the haughty and the arrogant on behalf of the little guy. there's so much emotion going on in washinton that it has blurred who is who

it's not a time to act like the people he thinks he's targetting

and as a general rule, whenever you contact a rep, do a little background check on who they are. if there's anything they've doen you repsect, breifly thank them for it. maybe there's nothing

but if a stranger calls them and basicly yells YOU'RE MY ENEMY!!!! how the hell do you think they're going to react? Washington is a rough place, and they are skilled at classifying people quickly. Dont classify yourself as 'discard' or 'crush' when you call

I've made countless calls on immigration, I speak from experience here - number one issue when you call is 'what is your goal'? TO get aggrivation off your chest? Or influence policy?

#290     Sep 27, 2008