Tax loss harvesting with selling ITM Put options

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by assetalloc, Dec 1, 2018.

1. zdreg

zdreg

if you feel that way hit the report button.

#11     Dec 2, 2018
  2. Yes, you clearly were out of line in calling a simple discussion on taxes as"
    "you created your own problems"....

Accountants and tax preparers must disclose their profession when they discourage others from discussing tax-related issues that affect trading.

Yes, I went back and read a few discussions, and I am afraid both zdreg & ajacobson may have a tendency to back each other and derail good discussions often. It's always suggesting others to talk to accountants and not trust the threads.

Nobody is giving advice here. If we discuss things, both of you always jump in to scare others.

#12     Dec 2, 2018
  3. I have been reading about references posted by @MoreLeverage on this thread. It seems deep ITM options will be considered substantially similar to owning the stock. And should trigger the wash sale rule.

So I am not sure if you were allowed to take loss on your first sale of stock. Ideally, that loss should have carried over to ITM put you sold & then to the stock when it got assigned, based on chaining/ straddle laws described. Are you sure that your accountant allowed/ suggested you such trade? (Sell stock at loss --> sell ITM put (that doesn't get assigned for 30 days) --> get assigned --> hold the stock)

#13     Dec 2, 2018
  4. ET180

ET180

I came up with the trade and asked my accountant. He said it was fine. Anyhow, I think IB automatically calculates the wash sales for you, but if you're concerned about it, ask a tax professional. I'd be curious on hearing a second opinion from a tax professional. My understanding is that the language is very vague. What constitutes substantially similar? VDE vs. XLE? Basically the same exposure. SPY vs VOO. Swap a vanguard sector ETF for the same iShares ETF. That doesn't count as substantially similar so why would a deep ITM put for shares? How about ATM put for shares? How about sell shares, buy a call, and short the ATM put (trade a synthetic). You can create all kinds of complex positions to very closely replicate the original position. Shorting a put instead of holding stock doesn't provide the same returns at all price levels because with shares you have a delta of 1 at all levels and short put you have a variable delta. So different exposure. Anyhow, I don't think they really have a way of enforcing that rule even if they decided to.

#14     Dec 2, 2018
    assetalloc likes this.
  5. Unfortunately, I do my own taxes and don't have a tax professional to speak to.
    ETFs are a relatively new phenomenon. I didn't read much about them
    But options have been around for a very long time. I don't remember exact revenue codes, but there seems to be a more clear definition of substantially similar securities:
    • Any call after selling a stock within 30days
    • closing ITM call or put before/after buying a stock with 61 day rule
    trading Shorts have a similar effect as longs for wash sale rules. If one gets flagged due to excessive use of wash-sale workarounds, IRS will find a code that one has violated.

#15     Dec 3, 2018
  6. Nit pick - the term is substantially identical, not similar, for wash sales. That’s why options on a stock may be treated the same as a stock, but why different ETFs at least so far are not. ETFs, while similar, are often not identical in their index methodology, statistical sampling of holdings vs full replication, expenses, voting rights, etc. similar, often yes, but arguably not substantially identical.

#16     Dec 3, 2018
    assetalloc likes this.
  7. ET180

ET180

One thing I'll add is that when I do replace stock with short ITM options, I'll hold for at least 90 days...mostly because I have to in order to get enough extrinsic value so that the option won't be exercised early and cause a wash sale. I'll usually go 4 - 8 months from expiration. I think that there's just so many ways around the wash sale rule, it can only really be enforced when the exact same instrument is repurchased after a unprofitable sale.

#17     Dec 3, 2018
  8. This may not sound correct. Please take a scenario below and I'd be happy to know that it's not a wash sale!
    1) Jan 2018 - Mary sold XYZ naked OTM May put Strike $100 for $5
    2) May - Sock falls to $70. Mary rolls Oct put strike $100 for $1
    3) Oct - the stock has fallen to $50, Mary rolls Feb 19 out Strike $100 for $1

Can Mary deduct approx. $50 in trading losses when she covered her puts? Or has to wait when she finally closes her position?

#18     Dec 3, 2018
  9. ET180

ET180

Everytime you roll, you're effectively closing the short put you hold for a loss and selling another put. So the trade consists of closing one trade at a tax-harvested loss and selling a new put. So the answer is yes. In October after having made the final trade, she would have $44 worth of losses.

#19     Dec 6, 2018
  10. @ET180
    What makes the rolling so much ITM puts in above example allowable tax loss? Is it just duration, and is it because puts were not assigned? Can you provide your reasoning?

#20     Dec 8, 2018