Tax help - Schedule D from Genesis, Penson

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by l12, Mar 29, 2007.

1. l12

l12

Hi,

I need help preparing a Schedule D from my huge 1099s (I am a daytrader) from 2 different brokers.

I've heard a free program called tradepair is good but it doesn't seem to exist on the web anymore, anyone who could e-mail it to me or post it here or something?

Otherwise, anyone have recommendations about what to do with these brokers.

Thanks,
    ML

2. Here is a link to some free programs (scroll down a bit). The only one I clicked was TradePair and it does appear to be gone. Maybe that's because it was free.

http://www.traderstatus.com/doingyourowntaxes.htm

I tried TurboTax online and it is extremely tedious. Each field for each trade is a separate screen.

Thinkorswim endorses GainsKeeper (kind of expensive) and TradeAccountant. I have decided to go with TradeAccountant. I think it's 69.95 for up to 1000 transactions, and 99.95 for unlimited. Well worth it if it works. I've played with the demo which limits to 25 transactions.

I tried another one, SimplyTrack. I checked one trx that started with selling a put option. ST added the commission to the total when it should have subtracted. I wasted about a day and a half on that.

BTW, they all had no trouble importing from Penson. I am having having quite a bit of difficulty importing from my Fidelity account. They only support direct downloading to TurboTax, otherwise it's a spreadsheet CSV file.

3. jgiova

jgiova

I used TradeKeeper for the past 3 years. You can test it for free (up to 100 trades), and then register if you like it.

I have 5 different accounts on different brokers (Ameritrade, ETrade, ThinkOrSwim, Fidelity, OptionsXpress). I've been able to consolidate everything smoothly.

I don't use the "filters" for different brokers. I just consolidate all my trades in an excel spreadsheet, then import that into TradeKeeper. It'll generate your Schedule D, and you can print it or import it into Turbo Tax if that's what you use for your taxes.