Tax free futures trading in the Netherlands?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by mhoev, Jun 13, 2002.

1. stevet

stevet

mhoev

so what is the Gluecksspiel that Wild was talking about - suggesting there is no tax in Germany as trading is considered gambling

#21     Jun 14, 2002
  2. wild

wild

99% don´t (unlawfully) pay taxes on "Spekulationsgewinne" because the German IRS (Finanzamt) has no legal means to enforce the taxation of speculation profits.

result: the "honest" taxpayers (1%) are the derided "idiots".

this "unequal treatment" is - understandably - regarded as un-constitutional by Prof. Klaus Tipke, the leading German expert on the "Abgaben-Ordnung" (taxation code), university of Cologne. consequently Prof. Tipke has filed a suit against the Federal Republic of Germany at the Bundesfinanzhof (supreme federal taxation court) in Munich recently ... aiming at the abolition of the "Spekulationssteuer" (taxation of speculation profits) on the grounds that it violates the Grundgesetz (basic law/constitution) of Germany.

case still pending ...

www.burle.de/Spek_Steuer.html

regards

wild

#22     Jun 14, 2002
  3. just21

just21

Gibralter, flat tax of I think $20,000 everything above is tax free. Belgium has no capital gains tax either I think. Anyone know of a list of countries and the taxes they levy on traders?

#23     Jun 14, 2002
  4. wild

wild

5. stevet

stevet

so does that mean that mhoev could choose to not pay tax

#25     Jun 14, 2002
  6. mhoev

mhoev

You always have the option to do something illegal - it is just a question of risk. As an orientation: For every 500k EUR income you do not declare you go round about 1 year into prison. O.k., the chance that gains from investment get known to the tax authorities may not be that high, but I prefer to find a legal way to avoid this unusual high german taxation.

Forget about the Glueckspiel argument - since 1999 all gains from speculation (this includes options and futures) are subject to taxation.

Markus

#26     Jun 14, 2002
  7. wild

wild

mind you ... no taxes at all in Germany if you hold your "speculative investment" for 1 year

#27     Jun 14, 2002
  8. mhoev

mhoev

:)

#28     Jun 14, 2002
  9. man, i love the netherlands. hot women (and i'm not talking about prostitutes here), fine beer, legal KBud...what more could a guy want? TAX-FREE trading!!

can you trade US stocks if you are a dutch citizen? what are the taxes like on that? do i have to be some rogue political figure to be accepted as a citizen?? ...just a few things I need to know before I start learning dutch...:D

#29     Jun 14, 2002
  10. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

stocks, options, futures.. all the same.
    no wonder some of the biggest funds in Europe officially are located in Netherlands and Luxembourg.

Any European citizen can go there and can't be denied residency. just some very limited paperwork.
    It is harder for outsiders but nothing to prevent you from coming. Restrictions are only there to prevent people coming to work there (I am not talking trading here). It is very similar to the rules in US with the green card. If you have money, it's no problem to become resident.

tntneo

#30     Jun 14, 2002