Tax free futures trading in the Netherlands?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by mhoev, Jun 13, 2002.

1. wild

wild

2. mhoev

mhoev

The numbers are correct, but I am not sure if they really just apply to capital on bank accounts in the Netherlands. When you become a resident in the Netherlands, you pay your tax on your world income there. As they use your capital to calculate the hypothetical incomes from investments I expect that all your capital will count.

Perhaps someone trading from Belgium can comment on this? I found some papers in the net which say that the capital gains tax rate is 0% even for short-term speculations.

About Luxembourg I do not have any meaningful information. I read several statements that Luxembourg is very overestimated as tax haven but perhaps someone can provide some concrete information?

Markus

#12     Jun 13, 2002
  3. chs245

chs245

As far as I know, capital gains are taxable if you hold your investment less than a year. Daxtrading gains will thus be subject to taxes. :-(

As for the Netherlands, capital gains are NOT taxed IF you are NOT a professional trader.

#13     Jun 13, 2002
  4. What do you call a professional trader ?

Someone with no revenue except those from his daytrading ???

#14     Jun 13, 2002
  5. chs245

chs245

Someone who does not have another regular job and someone who spends "a lot of time" doing trades.

#15     Jun 13, 2002
  6. Ditch

Ditch

The question for the tax authoraties is whether you are an entrepeneur. If you trade full-time from home you do not meet the criteria to be considered an entrepeneur. Besides that, there is always the possiblity of considering yourself to be an investor. Capital gains are tax-free. So all together the 'fiscus' would have a very tough case taxing futures gains.

#16     Jun 13, 2002
  7. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

also, you are a prof if you have a license.

#17     Jun 13, 2002
  8. Forget about CG taxes, I doubt you can avoid them if you trade full time, the 0% CG tax rate in some EU countries generally applies to investors from what I know. What about social security taxes? As a business owner you probably need to pay these taxes quartely even if you don't make anything. That's the beauty of the european social system.

#18     Jun 13, 2002
  9. stevet

stevet

so amsterdam has favourable tax treatment, but does Germany - WIld said it does, but Mhoev says it doesn't - are either of you in Germany and making a profit and therefore know for sure?

#19     Jun 14, 2002
  10. mhoev

mhoev

Stevet - I live in Germany, make profit and pay tax on it - nearly 50%. This is the main reason why I started this thread...

Markus

#20     Jun 14, 2002