Tax for non US resident

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by arzoo, Oct 22, 2002.

1. PXG

PXG

Wally,
    both Slovakia and Czech Rep. have double taxation treaties with US.

#11     Oct 25, 2002
  2. You mean the treaties about avoiding the double taxation, right?
    Or correct me if I got it wrong.

Thanks,
    wally_

#12     Oct 25, 2002
  3. PXG

PXG

#13     Oct 25, 2002
  4. mkmps

mkmps

Well, I spent quite a bit of time studying up on tax law in eastern europe. It turns out that in Lithuania for example short-term equity and futures gains are not taxed at all !!! So if I am a lithuanian, with account requisites from Lithunia a pay 0 tax in lithuania and and if i reside in lithuania a pay no tax at all. If I WORK for a company based in lithuania, from another country I can still structure the payout in a way that makes it basically tax free.
    I personally will travel to Eastern Europe for vacation and will try to nail something down for sure. PM me if you want more info on where to find more info on tax structure on capital gains.

#14     Oct 26, 2002
  5. For a european trader it would be attractive to move to the Netherlands, because you only pay a flat tax of 1.2% on your assets. It is assumed you make 4% a year on your capital. This amount is taxed at 30%.

#15     Oct 27, 2002
  6. chs245

chs245

Unfortunately that does not apply to professional traders in the Netherlands.

#16     Oct 28, 2002
  7. How do you (or the government) define a professional trader?
    The ET member Ditch said that you are not a professional if you trade retail.

Have you any documents that confirm your statement?

Thanks.

#17     Oct 28, 2002
  8. chs245

chs245

If you trade full time through a US based partnership (such as a prof trader), then it is difficult to argue that trading is not your business. In that case, the dutch taxes won't bother you though, because you pay US taxes. My accountant tells me that under the double taxation treaty between NL and US, I will only be liable of US taxes.
    If you trade retail and have another full-time occupation, then indeed the dutch tax code is attractive.

#18     Oct 28, 2002