Tax Deduction Ideas for 2002

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by DisciplinedHedg, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Now that tax season is over, it's time to start planning ahead for a profitable but SMART 2002.

What are some of the more common AND uncommon deductions traders here are making?

I think it will benefit everyone here.

2. Dustin

Dustin

I would like for people to comment on writing off the home office space. I have heard positives and negatives, and currently my accountant is telling me to do it.

3. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Just remember that if you do that and you own your home, I think that what you write off needs to be taken off your basis or treated as rent income and therefore almost becomes a wash. If you rent, then I don't think it's an issue.

But, I'm not an accountant.

4. cashonly

Some stuff:
    WSJ
    IBD
    TASC
    Cable for CNBC
    Internet Service
    Quote Feeds
    Trading shows
    Travel to Trading shows
    Trading Classes & Seminars
    Travel to Trading Classes & Seminars
    Computer Equipment
    Trading Books
    etc.

5. Did you sleep in a Holiday Inn last night?

The home office deduction is one of the few old/new gems available. The deduction reduces your basis in the home. In prior tax years when gains on primary home sales were taxable this might be a wash, but since the change in the law that removed capital gains on sale of a primary residence, this deduction is a windfall.

6. jafjr57

jafjr57

What is the best form of trading entity to trade out of? Should you trade as an individual, corporation or LLC? Any comments would be appreciated.

7. a home office deduction is expected by the irs for a home trader.

8. cashonly

Ohhh.....

Makes sense. I didn't think of that!

Thanks!!!

(unless you don't own your house for at least 2 years, right?)

9. trdrmac

trdrmac

As always do what you want with your taxes, but if you use your home as a home and an office, and you sell the property, as far as I can see the sale is treated as two separate sales. One is the sale of the home, and the second is the sale of the office, where the depreciation is recaptured. This would be the same as renting a room in your house and taking a deduction. The 1997 change does not have any bearing on this.

The second is the use of a Medical Savings Account. This is actually a decent deal, if you elect a deductible of about 1200 to 2500 you can fund a MSA with tax-free money and make tax free withdrawals. The premiums are 60% deductible strait from income, no 7.5% AGI floor.

A good weekend to all.

10. Yes you have to own the home for 2 years and reside in it more than 6 mos per year to have it qualify as your primary residence and also to have it qualify for no tax on capital gains on sale.

#10     Apr 20, 2002