TASR trade busted on ISE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Options' started by heilbronner, Apr 20, 2004.

1. def

def Sponsor

Guys, I don't read every thread and only saw this now.

There is nothing IB can do if an exchange busts a trade other than complain to the exchange on the clients behalf. It happens to us all the time on the prop side. The exchange calls up, says those trades are busted and too bad if you hedged them. Each exchange has different rules but such is life. This is not IB's error and you need to know the bust rules.

Stating we don't go for bat for clients is wrong. just yesterday on an overnight trade we had globex contact our help desk stating that a clients spread order was busted due to the exchange simulating the fill from the other side. Worst part, they only busted one leg of the spread. Guess which part the client got to keep? We complained, they said that the rules are the rules. However, we escalated the issue and rec'd word today that there might be some recourse for the client and the exchange may reconsider it's rules.

Another example of exchange rigidity. In HK, there is a 10% bust rule. I.e. a trade can be busted if it is 10% different from the previous trade (delta adjusted). We were making a market in a cheap option 1 bid at 4 and got lifted for some size. A minute later another couple hundred 100 trade at 3. A minute later we got a call stating that the ones at 4 would be busted due to the buyers complaints. ONE TICK (and also IMO an illegal pre-arranged trade at 3). We complained and the one manager who would be willing to make a decision to over ride the rules was not in the office and the trade stood as busted. (Since then we lobbied and have confirmed that the exchange will use discretion from here on out). Nevertheless, there was nothing we could do.

Now I know the rules of the markets I trade in detail. However, if I get a call from the exchange that a trade gets busted, it wouldn't surprise me if the interpretation of my comments to the customer service rep who would then relay the info to the client gets slightly lost in translation. If you read the rules on the various exchanges, you'll see that some are complex. Some allow rebooking of orders, others don't. If you believe a trade was busted that shouldn't have, write a letter of complaint to the help desk and it will be pursued.

In this case, you're shooting the messenger and I agree, if you receive a fill that seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Finally, how can electronic trades be busted? Many of you painfully know how busted trades were and are handled by Globex and Eurex. Unfortunately, tt is rarely a smooth process.

#41     May 5, 2004