Task Manager - System Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joab, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Joab

Joab

My system performance averages 40-60% with spikes as high as 80% during fast times.

Do I need a more powerful rig ???

2. That's pretty high, are you running a Plll ?

If not, please advise your processor, ram and software.

3. Joab

Joab

I'm using this computer as a back up to my main rig but still want it to be efficient.

Celeron M 1.86
    2 G DDR Ramm
    256 Nvidia vid card

I have a charting package with up to 10 charts open at any time, Data provider, prop trading platform a spreadsheet and occasionally a chat (java) window open.

I was going to sell this and buy another newer dual core but figured it would be ok (couldn't get more then $400 for it) for back up (which I use 3-4 days a month) but not sure now if I need to just go for another newer dual core machine.

4. bespoke

bespoke

celeron!!!!!

5. Hi Joab,

I get very similar performance with my backup machine, which is a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4.

It usually cycles between 40 and 60%, but often peaks up to 80 and 100. For me the main culprit is the Java app running TWS.

On my core 2 duo machine, the same setup doesn't peak past 13% - it's just a whole world of difference.

6. Joab

Joab

Yes I have the same experience with my 2.5 dual core !

I really was hoping to get away with this but what's the point of a back up that doesn't work properly. :(

7. Trader50

Trader50

Any suggestions for a new computer?

8. gnome

gnome

Have you considered running 2 machines through a router to "divide the load"?

9. gnome

gnome

#10     Mar 17, 2008