TARP for Automakers - Not Legally Permissible

Discussion in 'Trading' started by U Boat Commander, Dec 12, 2008.

1. The message doesn't seem to be getting across. Even if, for the sake of argument, the alleged restriction is accepted, there are at least two ways to get TARP money into GM/F by using BHCs as conduits.

This is a complete non-issue - if the Bush administration wants to pump $s into GM/F they can do it at will.

#41     Dec 14, 2008
  2. The money will be funneled through GMAC to GM once they are made a bank.

They will find a way around their own rules.

#42     Dec 14, 2008
  3. spell-check doesn't always pick the right word. kthxbye

#43     Dec 14, 2008
  4. A first year analyst would realize this immediately. I don't understand why it's so hard for the OP to understand.

#44     Dec 14, 2008
  5. I hear a rumor a wooden arrow maker is going to chip in for the GM bailout.

#45     Dec 14, 2008
  6. Talking about TARP with the word LEGAL is absolutely laughable!!!!!

The TARP is a massive illegal and unconstitutional theft of america!!! :mad:

#46     Dec 14, 2008
  7. OP is not an analyst, he's a U boat commander:)

#47     Dec 14, 2008
  8. nicuss

nicuss

This definition was crafted so that it covers ANY institution doing business in the US, while giving the impression that it is restricted to the financials. This is how I read it:

The term ‘‘financial institution’’ means any institution, including [irrelevant examples], established and regulated in USA [etc], but excluding any central bank of, or institution owned by, a foreign government.

The examples are completely irrelevant because there is no language at all suggesting the institution should be related to, or similar to those examples. Technically, the wording only implies that those institutions may not be excluded from this definition. Practically, they were spelled out to create the impression that this is what the definition is all about.

So all that's left is:
    - doing business & regulated in USA
    - not owned by a foreign government
    - must not exclude [true] financials

Not much room for interpretation really.

#48     Dec 16, 2008